Crash immediately after character creation

JackDeth

Hi all,
I've looked through all the tech threads I can to see what fix I could prescribe to this issue but cannot find any resolution.
Things I've tried:
  • Turned off Advanced Effects
  • Matched resolutions between the launcher and the graphics window.
  • Turned off all AV, windows defender, etc...
  • Tried multiple configurations with the graphic settings, such as windowed mode, classic full screen and hi-res settings.
I can get to the point where my character I created is at the final stage of completion. When I hit enter to "save and enter the game" it instantly crashes "PSOBB.exe has stopped working"
Any ideas? I'd Love to get back into this. I've had several lv.80ish characters on the original Dreamcast version(56k) and have been trying to find a reliable fan server. I'm so close.

System specs:
Windows 10 home 64bit
16gb ram
Intel i5-4670k CPU 3.4 GHz
NVidia GTX 970 (drivers up to date)
my installation path is on a non-boot drive, so a secondary internal drive I use for games.

Nothing in the log files I could find useful.

Thanks for the help all, can't wait to start slaying again.
JackDeth

Have you tried reinstalling?
Never really heard of someone crashing at that point in the game. Is it in the same spot every time?

Have you tried turning off Windows 10 data execution prevention? I'm not so sure if a CTD is caused by that in specific but turning DEP off solves a lot of players issues whom use win10. Also depending on your AV it might still be catching things as a safety net even when "off" (some do this for computer illiterates iirc) , which is why I personally recommend simply putting it in the whitelist.

As far as disabling DEP.

1. Open the start menu
  2. Type "sysdm.cpl" and press enter
  3. Go to "Advanced" tab
  4. Click Settings (on the performance group)
  5. Go to "Data Execution Prevention" tab
  6. Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"
  7. Click Add and search for PSOBB's executable (NOT the launcher)
  8. And Click ok to close everything

If that doesn't help, another user found with win10 it helps to simply run the exe from the folder instead after some recent updates.

Still very odd,
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling.
I disabled DEP.
and tried running just the psobb.exe

Still crashing at the same exact moment when I finish creating a character.
in my windows event viewer, the error window states that...
"Faulting module path: E:\Phantasy Star Online\EphineaPSO\ephinea.dll"

Is there something funky in the .dll?

No, you're not disabling something. Anti virus/protections flags it as a false positive because of the way PSO loads our custom things into memory. I'm not sure what in windows would cause that if you truly have windows defender disabled, DEP properly disabled, and the client whitelisted, but it seems to be another windows 10 issue.

Would probably need @Sodaboy or @Matt to give an answer because I'm not sure at this point.

You probably have some sort of plugin installed into your Windows which hooks to Windows' native video playing API calls.

At the point you create your character, on Ephinea anyway, it plays the Episode IV video. Some other DLL is causing the Ephinea DLL (which asks Windows to play the movie) to crash.

Have you installed some codec packs or anything into your Windows 10 configuration? Something there is definitely causing it. Of course, we can add an option to skip the FMV, but it's not there right now. I'm like 99.98% sure, though, it's some codec pack or some sort of video enhancing software or something you've loaded which is causing the crash.

You probably have some sort of plugin installed into your Windows which hooks to Windows' native video playing API calls.

At the point you create your character, on Ephinea anyway, it plays the Episode IV video. Some other DLL is causing the Ephinea DLL (which asks Windows to play the movie) to crash.

Have you installed some codec packs or anything into your Windows 10 configuration? Something there is definitely causing it. Of course, we can add an option to skip the FMV, but it's not there right now. I'm like 99.98% sure, though, it's some codec pack or some sort of video enhancing software or something you've loaded which is causing the crash.

It's not that. It's after the video and creating a character, right before the warp to ship selection screen shows up. Also had this issue.
It's not codec packs or DEP.
I'll also add that this is not Windows 10-specific. Happens in Windows 7.

I watched that entire intro video before the character creation starts, I hit esc to skip it usually.

What do you think it is Liberalce?

I watched that entire intro video before the character creation starts, I hit esc to skip it usually.

What do you think it is Liberalce?

At this point, I don't know. I tried a couple of things, but stopped bothering after a while.
It's also not an AV flag, either.

Woops, had a brain fart. :p Well, no idea, TBQH! Pretty weird.

I'm still at a total loss, soon I was thinking about a fresh windows install.
Just need to make time to do it.

I have the exact same issue. i tried running as admin and putting it in compatibility mode service pack 2. I also turned off my antivirus?

AMD 8300
RX 470
16 Gigs of RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

Back