Controller buying help!

Nanami_Momozono

In love with a fox spirit...
EDIT PART DEUX:

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED!!!

So much good information and advice! I think I'm gonna go with the Xbox 360 controller due to durability, performance, and ease of installation (i.e. none).

I love everyone on this forum--so helpful! Everyone's such a baller.

----

Hey friends, sorry if this has been already asked. I’m new so I apologize. If it has, please direct me to the appropriate thread!

I need help deciding which controller to purchase that works with PSOBB. I’ve always been a controller girl. Never really enjoyed keyboard/mouse gameplay (though I forced myself to deal when I played WoW).

Anyway, for those that know and don’t know my story, I’m saving to purchase a PC to play PSOBB on in July but I need help choosing a controller to use. The PC will almost certainly have Windows 10 on it.

So which one do you guys like most? Xbox One? Logitech? Something else entirely? Any opinions and experiences are welcome and appreciated! Thank you!

XX

EDIT: Anyone have any experience with the Afterglow Xbox controllers and Windows 10? I’m like a crow, I like shiny things. :3

Last edited:
Xbox 360 wired controller.

I've used the same one for like... 8 years now. Has a minor shorting issue if the wire isnt in its "comfy" position, but its literally plug and play; windows will recognize this as a gamepad and it works for virtually every single game. (all the ones i play at least)

Xbox 360 wired controller.

I've used the same one for like... 8 years now. Has a minor shorting issue if the wire isnt in its "comfy" position, but its literally plug and play; windows will recognize this as a gamepad and it works for virtually every single game. (all the ones i play at least)

Thank you so much! Probably will get one!

i had an afterglow controller and I returned it 2 days later. just didn't feel as tight compared to the xbox 360.

PS4 DualShock 4

I tried several controllers with extra buttons, even ordered one from japan but the quality is lacking for constant use. The best pads are always going to be official ones even if they are more pricey but its so worth if your going to game alot. Xbox or PS4. I prefer PS4 because of the placement of 2 sticks with d-pad on the top left, instead of a stick top left and up front d-pad + stick. I also hear good things about steam controller recently.

i had an afterglow controller and I returned it 2 days later. just didn't feel as tight compared to the xbox 360.

It isn't. I had a Afterglow controller awhile back and was playing game Dynasty Warriors Online with it. I use quick turn around guards and due to the Dead Zones on the Afterglow, it took more effort to make your character turn around in general.

I am currently using an Xbox 1 Controller. It's alright, but it's not as good as the Xbox360 controller. I feel I am having more aiming problems with the XBOXONE controller.

Last edited:
PS2 or Xbox original controller S (the small one not the duke) if you want something that'll last, only problem being there is you'll have to buy a USB adapter but imo its well worth it. Most people will suggest Xbox 360 controller (or ps4 because its new) as its easily accessible but I find they're cheap and shitty and you won't find them new anymore.

I used an original xbox controller s using the XBCD drivers for many years (Also these are going up in value online so may be best to check out boot sales/flea markets to grab one cheap.

I Switched to Xbox 360 wired when windows updates started to break XBCD. I use a PS4 controller when I use my laptop via bluetooth (although the xbox 360 controller works out of the box without 3rd party drivers and utils so prefer to use that).

I've been using DualShock 2 for the past decade or so. I used to use Logitech controllers before that, but Battle mode kept chewing them up and spitting them back out. I got tired of having to replace my controller, so I went with console build quality. IMHO you should never buy PC controllers, as they aren't built to take the kind of punishment that console controllers are.

I fully recommend the Xbox One controller, it's pretty nice for long play sessions.
My only gripe is to turn it off you have to hold down the guide button, which ends up opening steam big picture mode, but aside from that it's flawless.

Back