Combo locked weapons

Should combo locked weapons stay combo locked on Ephinea?

• Yes, all combo locked weapons should stay combo locked.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Some combo locked weapons should stay locked, but some of them should be combo unlocked.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, all combo locked weapons should have their combos unlocked.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbo

Has there been any discussion about whether combo locked weapons (https://wiki.pioneer2.net/w/List_of_Weapons_which_Cannot_Combo) should be combo unlocked on Ephinea? I'm of the opinion that combo unlocking weapons is a generally positive change for the sake of increasing weapon variety and promoting more chase items to hunt for endgame, but I'm curious if other people feel the same way or if they're vehemently against combo unlocking weapons.

From the FAQ:
Q. What is the vision for the Ephinea server?

A. Ephinea is a place to showcase the latest version of the Tethealla server, while at the same time trying to find a good balance between the vision of Blue Burst that SEGA had and some of our own changes we wanted to see made to the game. This means we’ll keep true to the original PSO formula and balances, while adding new features and conveniences to keep the game interesting.

AFAIK this have been intensively discussed and combo unlock is a big no-no on Ephinea.

Lol unfortunately even though it'd increase the pool of weapons worth hunting or at least finding them for fun, yeah its never gonna happen. Ephinea's intent is to be as close to vanilla as possible with some perks. Also locked weapons do have some specific niches here or there (dark meteor, rianov5), but often theres other weapons that perform the same niche, but better or cheaper thus invalidating using these items at all. Just the way it is here. As far as people "vehemently against it" yeah there's a number of purists or people who have a desperate kicking, screaming, and clawing fear of us somehow becoming schtserv again, even though thats a fallacy in and of itself since customs haven't even been tried here.

Ultima PSO for what its worth does have a fair number of fun customs and rebalances, if you're looking for stuff to really push a really powerful endgame.

From the FAQ:
Q. What is the vision for the Ephinea server?

A. Ephinea is a place to showcase the latest version of the Tethealla server, while at the same time trying to find a good balance between the vision of Blue Burst that SEGA had and some of our own changes we wanted to see made to the game. This means we’ll keep true to the original PSO formula and balances, while adding new features and conveniences to keep the game interesting.

AFAIK this have been intensively discussed and combo unlock is a big no-no on Ephinea.
I don't know what Sega's original vision with Blue Burst was, I just know that one of my biggest problems with PSO personally is how dominant 50 hit charge vulcans/diskas/arms/etc. are, and how easy they are to obtain relative to other endgame equipment. All of the weapons I listed can be easily bought for one photon drop or less, can be easily equipped on a level 1 character of an appropriate class (or even an inappropriate class for every weapon listed except arms) if you have a high level mag the character can borrow, and will outdps basically any rare weapon in the game you can find while also contributing more to your ATA (really high hit special weapons might be able to compete on accuracy, but they still won't be better practical/theoretical DPS unless they also have a sacrifice-based special). Combo unlocking special weapons doesn't fix any of those issues, but they at least make it possible to make a case for using special weapons like L&K38 and Master Raven together instead of bringing a charge vulcan (even though that's still probably worse in most scenarios).

I also think it's really hard to make a case for Photon Booster weapons like Snow Queen being combo locked when Frozen Shooter isn't, it effectively means you're paying photon drops to make your own item irreparably worse.

Ultima PSO for what its worth does have a fair number of fun customs and rebalances, if you're looking for stuff to really push a really powerful endgame.

Nah, I like Ephinea and some weapons being combo locked isn't enough of a dealbreaker for me to try and play on a different server instead. I'm just curious if combo unlocking weapons is even a possibility, and I'd like to hear some of the reasons people don't want weapons combo unlocked if that's what they believe.

Yeah the topic comes up from time to time, mayhaps mostly on Discord. We've seen what happens when they get unlocked from the basis of other servers and that's not the direction we'd like to proceed. Furthermore, in the particular case of the mentioned weapons like LK38, Master Raven and Snow Queen, these weapons actually do see use in the current meta. Specifically, Snow Queen is not at all a worse weapon than Frozen Shooter having the ability to pierce, giving it a strong utility when positioned well.

The thing is we've basically solved PSO (albeit still growing). Charge Vulcans are strong for how easy to get they are but they aren't always the efficient choice on an endgame build, and that's because we've optimized on how much damage and accuracy you theoretically need to actually kill something as opposed to overkilling something, meaning overall, the DPS isn't actually the highest from having the easily accessible weapons. They're still useful of course, but they just have their own lil' place in use-cases.

Ultimately I think it should stay as it is, as that's the intent of the server. There are some combo-locked weapons I'm kind of iffy about though, mainly the FO ones.

Last edited:
Not sure HOW this subject hasn't been beaten to death already...But in a nutshell.....Players in the past (on other servers) have pretty much abused the capabilities of such Combo weapons with sphering and %'s them to the point of being able to KILL Bosses within a SINGLE or TWO COMBO burst! Mew has been kicking around the idea of asking the Server Gods of Combo unlocking some of the vanilla Uber toys JUST for Anguish rooms to offset the torment. Not sure of how much a hassle that would be to make happen...or if even suggesting it would step on the toes of the powers that be to backpedal on a solid decision already made to Balance all..... you know? Soooooo.....nya!

Oh... don't be offended or angry if you get a simple.... "NOPE!" =P. <3

As far as I'm concerned it will only decrease the weapon pool, since most HUs/RAs will probably focus on their (heavily sphered) Dark weapons. Those weapons are too powerful to have their combo unlocked. If you disagree, check out Ultima for a few days. Nothing nice about having people yell at you for accidentally healing them while they're laying waste to entire rooms at times, because they've got their combo unlocked.

In my opinion, Ephinea does a very good job at keeping the server on par with what most of the community wants and to stay true to the original game. And for that, I'm very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back