Can you play on a Mac?

xEuphii

My brother is wanting to play but only has an apple. Does it work with macs(I don't have one)? Or could you run the faking windows app and run it that way?

Depends on how old the Mac is. If it's one of the ones that has an Intel processor in it, you could always Bootcamp and run it from Windows.

If that's not an option, I think there's Wine for MAC OS X. Don't know if it can run PSO, though!

https://www.winehq.org/

I think it depends upon the client. A lot of people have trouble typing in WINE (which may not be a problem with the Tethealla client, since the IME is disabled), so they were never able to tell how well the actual game performs.

Last time I checked on Linux using wine, the game would crash after character select when it loads vertex shader textures (IDirect3DDevice8::CreateTexture). Removing this ingame feature allowed you to go ingame and play however you can't see anything since it's all dark aka no textures so technically unplayable. I've pinpointed some problematic textures, however I believe the issue to be something else. Lobby chair texture was one of the problematic ones. One has to remember PSO PC works on Linux and it also has lobby chairs. Anyway, I do not think there is a stable configuration to play this game yet on any other OS than Windows at the moment.

On another note, I never use Linux so I don't have a Linux box and VMs are kinda crappy for this.

For anyone interested, crash happened in Mesa OpenGL implementation I was using at that moment -> mesa/src/gallium/auxiliary/vl/vl_vertex_buffers.c in function vl_vb_get_ycbcr_stream

Because the crash does not happen in wine, feel free to test on your MAC, but don't get your hopes up.

Mylandra said:
One has to remember PSO PC works on Linux and it also has lobby chairs.
No, it doesn't. The new lobby design, extra animations, and chairs were added in GC. PSO PC also uses D3D8, while BB (supposedly) uses D3D9. The fact that PC uses an older system may be why WINE has better support for it.

I vaguely remembered trying to do this with an old MacBook Pro 2009 when I was pretty thirsty for some PSOBB on the go. I think I succeeded when I started playing PSOBB on GenocideServ, but it pretty much aged my laptop so badly that I just highly don't recommend it. I used BootCamp (I don't remember how to do this, so please Google that.) such that I installed Windows 7 in a separate partition of my HDD for the laptop. It was a real pain to install a lot of other software after installing Windows 7 because I improvised just to maintain the bare minimum for playing the game.

If I barely made it to PSOBB paradise, then maybe you can too. I just don't think it's worth the time making a MacBook work like a Windows machine when there are a bunch of cheap laptops that can run this game. The system requirements for this game are really not as high maintenance as say, PSO2.

Last edited:
If you get a cheap laptop, make sure it has adequate cooling, though. BB will push a single core to 100% at all times, so your laptop may generate a fair amount of heat while the game is running.

Aleron Ives said:
No, it doesn't. The new lobby design, extra animations, and chairs were added in GC. PSO PC also uses D3D8, while BB (supposedly) uses D3D9. The fact that PC uses an older system may be why WINE has better support for it.

PSOBB also uses Directx8, I don't think the game design has changed so much over the years, there's alot of leftover code in PSOBB from the PC/DC era.

I guess that makes sense, since it was ported from the Xbox. Now if only the animation and transparency fixes in BB could be backported. Ha. :roll:

I got this running on my Mac with Wineskin. I don't know if anyone will read it since this forum is 1 year old, but maybe someone might come back to it.

Back