Bug/glitch hunting advice?

Noblewine

Its a hobby I do to blow off steam though I usually watch videos on youtube to get ideas or try out the ones from games that I own. Do you guys know any good websites that have tips/tricks on finding bugs/glitches?

usually it's just finding things the developers didn't think about. or if we're in the modern era, just by playing (ie bethesda games!)
also doing things repeatedly in different ways (basically game testers are forced to do this ten fold)

that pokemon site where they modify assembly (through an inventory item) is interesting because it gives insight on how you can take advantage of console memory limitations (...sorry, that's kind of vague but I don't remember the link...)

yeah u probably kno this whatever check out my nice +1

Not exactly bug/glitch... but thought you might want to see this (if you haven't seen it before)

In modern games most bugs/glitches tend to come from object interaction with your environment. You have to really look hard for them. In some game that use the same engine (like some use unreal or havok for example) the same exploits sometimes work, or at least the same train of thought.

In older games sprites sometimes can slip into areas they're not meant to be in because of poorly coded border areas, or sometimes a wall object will have a non solid border you can stand on, and use that to go out of bounds. Sometimes its something you wont even think of and it can get you into ridiculous situations because the developers forgot something simple, like video related.

Yes this is a topic I like incase you couldnt tell :3c

usually it's just finding things the developers didn't think about. or if we're in the modern era, just by playing (ie bethesda games!)
also doing things repeatedly in different ways (basically game testers are forced to do this ten fold)

that pokemon site where they modify assembly (through an inventory item) is interesting because it gives insight on how you can take advantage of console memory limitations (...sorry, that's kind of vague but I don't remember the link...)

yeah u probably kno this whatever check out my nice +1

Its cool CTB I saw a video and someone do it a few times in AGDQ. The exploit is really cool.

In modern games most bugs/glitches tend to come from object interaction with your environment. You have to really look hard for them. In some game that use the same engine (like some use unreal or havok for example) the same exploits sometimes work, or at least the same train of thought.

In older games sprites sometimes can slip into areas they're not meant to be in because of poorly coded border areas, or sometimes a wall object will have a non solid border you can stand on, and use that to go out of bounds. Sometimes its something you wont even think of and it can get you into ridiculous situations because the developers forgot something simple, like video related.

Yes this is a topic I like incase you couldnt tell :3c

I appreciate the insight. Someone in AGDQ showcased that exploit as well. Another cool exploit in Zelda 2 is the one that allows you to skip those annoying points as you climb Death Mountain. If you know which one I'm talking about. Dunno what it was called but you have to touch the triggers (pallete between the field and mountain) that instigate battle screen and touch a enemy sprite to skip the entire section.

Last edited:
This I found really bizarre but its so neat. The setup to do this is so long :O

You basically just mess around with things. Try literally everything, everywhere, with everything you can do. I have discovered how to time-travel in Super Metroid this way, either resetting Zebes to the point of Samus' arrival, or accelerating time to the final escape sequence.

Back