Back to PSO to stay

redria7

CakeWatch
Hi everyone. I played hundreds of hours (offline only) back on Gamecube, and I played a few months of BB on Ultima.

Recently I've been looking for a good long term game and with the Western release of PSO2 I thought I would finally be able to return to the franchise I loved. Turns out, I really really don't enjoy how much PSO2 pushes FOMO, the grind to play every day, the horrible meseta imbalance between gameplay and weekly tasks, and of course the fact that you can hit max level in a day, not to mention how limiting the weapons/class feels. I just want something I can casually play for the next few years whenever I have time without feeling like I have to log in every day, while also seeing growth.

Which brings me here. I want to just take my time and enjoy PSO again, so I'm playing purist and noluck for now. I'll probably be playing mostly single player since I am trying to avoid commitments with this, but I'm sure I'll try finding a party or 2 now and then. I'm currently playing on Fodra since I'm east coast and it has half the ping of the popular server (is there a bigger PSO following on the West coast?).

I'm looking forward to my time here. See you around everyone. :oops:

Welcome to the server!
I was in the same place in that timeline, I played lots of pso on gamecube offline too, I think you'll enjoy it here :)
It's fun whether you play solo or multiplayer, plus there are a lot of quality of life stuff that you couldn't normally get in the normal pso experience like stackable materials, helpful commands like /lobby /bank /matcount are just some of the few things to make hunting and managing your character easier. Plus if you get interested in multiplayer, there are usually open games up in normal, hard. and vhard modes most of the time, although there are periods where there's not many games open. But you can usually find someone to play with in most cases :D

I started a video series on pso that shows some of the useful commands and stuff if you wanna take a look at it sometime
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/my-pso-lets-play-tutorial.17889/

For sure the quality of life improvements here are very nice - shared bank and 32 character slots being my favorite so far. I've got a spreadsheet of notes and mag/mat planning along with some commands that looked important. Some things I didn't find though:
  1. How do you change the drop style between classic and PSO2? I've only been playing single person mode so it doesn't matter but if/when I convince any friends to play with me, I want to set it to PSO2 style.
  2. How do I change to the modern experience system where you get experience as long as you're in the vicinity? Same reasons as #1.
  3. Is there a way to use npc costumes? On Ultima there was a command that allowed you to use one of 10 different npc costumes like Rico and Knuckles. Is that a thing here?
  4. Is there a handy mag timer function, or is that only from plugins you have to find for yourself?
Thanks for the welcome!

Actually I remembered what I meant to mention.

Is anyone interested in having a casual character that they play exclusively with a specific person/group? Multiplayer is a lot of fun, but I find level gaps to be frustrating as I'm not interested in being power leveled and I don't want to force it on someone else. Having a character exclusively for a friend/friend group can help with that, and is what I do with my IRL friends. However, they don't have the same long term interest so I haven't been able to do much.

The idea would be to start fresh characters together and only play that character when the rest of the team is on with you, with tthe end goal of beating each of the final bosses on Ultimate. I would not use shared bank, and I would probably stick to purist/noluck, but not necessarily. We would pick a time of week like 3 hours on Saturday or something, and that would be it. If someone is busy then we just raincheck, or if we all want to play more then we can do so. We'd also have to agree on what options are acceptable for grinding levels (repeatedly running TTF on Ultima is part of why I stopped playing there - I much more fondly remember just running Ultimate Forest dozens of times on Gamecube).

This would take a long time but it would be a nice goal/achievement to all finish the game together. I realize nobody here has any reason to trust/commit to something like that with a newbie to the server, but I like the idea of it at least.

You could start maybe by making a non purist toon and naming your rooms "forest run" "caves run" "forest 2 falz", etc. That way people know you don't want to quest. Who knows maybe you could run into someone interested in making toons and playing a couple hours on saturday like you mentioned earlier.

Eeeeeee!! *Pounces and looks you over with a fanged giggle!* Oooo...yet another Old Guard Cuber falls victim to the Topless Siren's song of Nostalgia and washes up upon our little tribe's shore! *Raises tiny eyebrow at mention of 'Ultima'* ... We have a Special WORD for you 'Ultima' players when you get here........"RESCUES! <3!".

Just about Everyone, who's played PSO2 has said the SAME Thing!! "It just doesn't have the Same CHARM as the Original!". Yes, PSO2 is Gorgeous...Bouncing Boobie jiggle physics...YES PLEASE!....But gameplay is just....meh!

And as loved comrades have stated, SHARED EXP and PSO2 drop styles are set as Default when you create a room and don't molest the settings.

And yes, Sadly some years ago the masses had appealed to the server gods and asked for access to the NPC skins...the answer was "NO!". Too many players with that damned black robed guy! lol. NPC skins are Only reserved for STAFF members, however~. Which brings mew to her closing words...Don't be surprised if someone named "Mercy" suddenly appears~! ♡ You Can't Miss her! X3!

Looking forward to pouncing and playing wiff you Redria-San! Oh! And Welcome Home! =3!

Thanks for the warm welcome! ^.^

I'll give that naming strategy a try at some point Nyte - thanks for the advice.

I have a whole lot to say about PSO2, but I think in the end it's the fact that it is more MMO than RPG that bothers me - I expected the gameplay changes (and I enjoy them mostly to be honest) but the wrapper around the gameplay is just not what I want from a game unfortunately.

I don't even remember a black-robed guy - I just always love having a Rico character whenever I can! :D Ah well, maybe someday that will change.

I'm mostly playing on my Huney Cici in single player atm, but I'll keep an eye out for you if I join any multi parties!

I'll give that naming strategy a try at some point Nyte - thanks for the advice.

I have a whole lot to say about PSO2, but I think in the end it's the fact that it is more MMO than RPG that bothers me - I expected the gameplay changes (and I enjoy them mostly to be honest) but the wrapper around the gameplay is just not what I want from a game unfortunately.

I don't even remember a black-robed guy - I just always love having a Rico character whenever I can! :D Ah well, maybe someday that will change.

I'm mostly playing on my Huney Cici in single player atm, but I'll keep an eye out for you if I join any multi parties!

Your mew would usually be Quick to put you on her "Pounce on Sight!" list...but unfortunately, she's been kidnapped hundreds of miles out of town to house sit for a friend and watch her fat cats ! Prolly be gone for 3 days.

Back