any way to make psobb have psopc/dc game rules?

nubrupt

is there anyway to make psobb have the same game rules as psopc/dc? can the rules be copied over so that the game plays more like original?

Short version: No. You'll need a Dreamcast for the original experience, or host your own PSO:BB server with the changes implemented. Good luck if you choose the latter.

Long version: Every version of Phantasy Star Online after Dreamcast V2 has various changes that make them significantly different from the Dreamcast and original PC versions. One obvious example is the addition of new episodes over time, with Blue Burst having Episodes I, II, and IV, with those additional episodes having their own items. The other big difference: stat changes compared to V2, mostly for balance purposes. There's probably a lot more differences, but those are the two most noticeable ones, and Blue Burst has much more content and changes in comparison.

Now, there's two significant reasons why Ephinea PSO:BB won't ever have such a change.

Reason 1: The amount of coding that would be required to change every part of PSO:BB to work like the DC versions, EVEN everything that wasn't available in the Dreamcast version, would amount to a huge task that would likely end up being a waste of everyone's time. Especially when you consider that this is SEGA coding we're talking about, which is not easy to work with for making such drastic changes. Honestly, you'd be better off playing the Dreamcast version for the Dreamcast rules rather than waiting for a dedicated PSO:BB private server to make such a drastic change just for you.

Reason 2: Unlike all of the other PSO:BB servers out there, Ephinea is the most "vanilla" out of all of them. Thus, while there might be some changes that makes the experience easier for players (such as QoL additions and, recently, single-player versions of popular multiplayer quests), it ultimately retains the same feeling as the original version, as that's the intended goal. To say the least, making a change of such a scale as changing PSO:BB into practically a hypothetical expansion of the Dreamcast version without any of the balance changes is completely out of the question. If you want to play a Dreamcast PSO without actually having a Dreamcast (you can go with an emulator, but honestly, if you're going to play a PSO game on PC, might as well play Blue Burst), you'll have to make a PSO:BB server with Dreamcast rules yourself.

But again.

SEGA coding.

Have fun with that.

Well there is PSOPC but it has fucked up opacity maps and other texture issues. I guess it would be easier to fix that and play with the dc people or get a dc lol. however psobb does have higher resolution and better updated software to work with.

that graphical fix was made by a retard. literally all special effects have nontransparent edges. worst "fix" ever. looks awful.

I'd like to agree with this sentiment, but when there's only one fix/patch out there for a problem, and nobody even bothered to improve on it afterwards (and/or the developer never MADE one. Good going, Dark Souls 1 PC devs. Must be nice to force the fans to do the optimization and network stabilization for you), a half-assed fix/patch is sometimes better than no fix/patch at all.

Same thing for the case of Japan-exclusive games, when there's only ONE translation project, and that project is mostly left incomplete and abandoned (I hate how I can't read the story for Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 because the only English patch out there that I've found only has menus, items, skills, names, and such 100% complete, with only the first chapter or two of the story and dialogue translated).

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're complaining about, since it looks better with the patch than without it. Everything in PSO PC has transparency defects, so ShinAsura could only realistically improve some of the more glaring ones, e.g. the Hunter's Guild pillar.

See here: http://psopalace.sylverant.net/gfx_fix.html

Fixing every defect would basically require an engine rewrite, since PSO PC is unable to layer transparency effects properly, as evidenced by the infamous "no hair in lobby" bug.

Reactions: Mad
Actually, if you want to, the tools needed are available to make Blue Burst functionally identical to V2. Well, minus the 100 slots at once, or instant loading that PCV2 has. well you can't have some things, like the original save system...or some of the old shaders...

'course, most of us don't have that kind of time. Or the will to do so.

(just get a dreamcast ok? its a nice system)

You're asking for alot of changes, for starters characters walk then they run, there is 16 directions as opposed to 8, then you have a ton of weapon and char stats to change, not to mention the damage calculation formula, the "infinite" material usage (exept hp and tp), the already tekked weapons and a serious change to drop %.
Heck even elemental and non elemental damage need to be tweaked so that they don't knock you down.

That's quite a bit of work and i'm probably only taping the surface.

And yes, i also agree that the "fix" (aka removing black areas on a texture) was a dreadfull attempt at fixing the transparency issues, it would be better to understand as to why some transparent textures work properly and everything else doesn't, i recall some textures on pioneer not causing any issues with hair at all.

Just to save everyone's time, the original poster is banned.

This thread can be locked if the admin/mod wants to.

Back