Academic research: interviews about PSO

jaredchansen

It's been a while since I've jumped on this server (about a year since I've been active on this forum), but I felt like coming back. As you may not know, I'm a PhD student in Media Studies, and one question I have is how does nostalgia affect players of video games? Specifically, I am interested in what drives this community to continue to play PSO all these years later. So I got approval from my ethics board to do some interviews with this community to ask you more about your experiences with PSO, your motivations to play it now, and how nostalgia relates to these decisions.

I want to be upfront and transparent in this research, and after I've finished my analysis I'd be happy to share with this community what I've found (probably sometime this summer, but likely this fall). So I'm setting up interviews in game where we can chat about my research questions. However, for ethical reasons I need any potential participants to first sign this consent form (which is really just a short survey), allowing me to record their responses and agree to participate.

So yeah, I'm really curious about why you guys play PSO, what you love about the Ephinea server, how nostalgia affects your gameplay, and hope to learn something new. If you're curious about what types of questions I'll be asking, below are a couple example questions:
  1. How often do you play on Ephinea?
  2. What are your opinions about the community of Ephinea?
  3. Do you play nostalgic games (like this one) more or less than current or popular games?
  4. What is the timeline that led to you playing on Ephinea?
  5. Why do you play on this private server?
  6. What role has the forum played in your experience? Are you active on the forum?
And thanks for reading my long post!

Back