A curious dc issue

psofan219

Guildcard
I have what feels to be a rather curious case of disconnection issues. It's nothing major, but it has some small hinderances I'd like to try and resolve if possible. I didn't see this sort of issue in the FAQ or being discussed anywhere, but if I missed it, then I apologize.

To put it shortly, I disconnect from the game pretty quickly when I stand still, but only when I'm standing still. My "Auto Disconnect" setting is set to 60 minutes currently, but realistically that doesn't even matter. I feel like if I don't input some kind of action within roughly a 60 second timespan, I start feeling like I will disconnect. The message doesn't even pop up for me at all until I do something that would cause a menu to open (Room creation, shop menu, bank menu, quest selection, etc.).

I have next to no knowledge about computers and the like, so please bear with me on that. I've often just joked about this that "PSO just doesn't like when I have another window active that's not it", but I would like to try and find some kind of solution if at all possible so that I can search things up without feeling like I'm on a timer.

- I do have some add-ons I'm using, and few at that, but I have tried with a fresh, clean install already. It happens either way still.
- I can't believe it's got anything to do with my internet connection, because as stated already, this is only an issue when I'm standing still. I would think if it was an internet issue, it would happen regardless of if I was standing still or not, wouldn't it? I'm also connected directly with an ethernet cable instead of using wi-fi.

That's about the extent of my knowledge I have about this. Apologies I can't provide much more upfront, but I just don't know what I would need to even provide for a situation like this that would be relevant.

I have no idea, but here's some basic troubleshooting questions to give you some vague ideas for what you can check.

Have you done any testing to see if you can deliberately make it happen? How reliably can you make it happen?

You mentioned something about activating other windows. I assume you are able to activate other windows for a shorter-than-60-second timeframe without experiencing the disconnect? Have you ever experienced the disconnect by just standing still without activating another window?

What can you share about your game settings? All defaults? Classic fullscreen? Windowed? Have you tried changing any of them?

To put it shortly, I disconnect from the game pretty quickly when I stand still, but only when I'm standing still
That sounds like it could be similar to an issue Ender was having, I suggest referring to this post, tether with your phone's data, if possible to determine if your modem/router/internet is at fault.

Yeah I had this issue along with disconnecting at bosses for a few years. Basically you get some activity going, then there's a pause and you just stop receiving packets until your data pushes enough through. It seems like a bogus optimization in the modem/router for TCP.

It's not a client or server bug but something with your internet. Soda helped me do a ton of debugging with the server and the server wasn't at fault. Wireshark filtered for psobb showed that my connection just stopped receiving data until enough was pushed through, and then I'd see many duplicate ACKs and resends.

Some ideas for workarounds and things to try in this thread: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/no-connection-gol-dragon.22988/

I think tethering with your phone's data, if possible, is a really good test to determine if your modem/router/internet is at fault.

I have no idea, but here's some basic troubleshooting questions to give you some vague ideas for what you can check.

Have you done any testing to see if you can deliberately make it happen? How reliably can you make it happen?

You mentioned something about activating other windows. I assume you are able to activate other windows for a shorter-than-60-second timeframe without experiencing the disconnect? Have you ever experienced the disconnect by just standing still without activating another window?

What can you share about your game settings? All defaults? Classic fullscreen? Windowed? Have you tried changing any of them?
The only way I know of that I can deliberately make it happen is simply just by standing still for a long enough time. I haven't done any exact testing for just how long I'm allowed to stand still, but it often feels like I'm only ever allowed a minute. Though this did give me an idea of something I could try and test, which I think I will.

I am able to open up and use other windows before the said 60-second time window has passed just fine. However long I actually have is fortunately long enough to allow all cutscenes to play through fully without me being dc'd. As long as I input any kind of input, I seem to be fine. I have not experienced the disconnect error message being displayed until I try and open up some kind of window that isn't the F12 menu, and I have never had the disconnect message pop up while just simply standing still.

I don't remember what settings I changed, but I can try resetting to default and start from there. I do use Windowed Mode as I personally don't prefer playing games in full screen.

That sounds like it could be similar to an issue Ender was having, I suggest referring to this post, tether with your phone's data, if possible to determine if your modem/router/internet is at fault.
Thanks. I'll look into this.

Back