3840x2160 framerate halved?

Grindahol

Green Haired Anime Space Elf Girls
I've got a 970gtx and i5-2500k at 4.0ghz, 16gb ram, and the game is a slideshow at 3840x2160. Looks like the framerate is halved and it's running slow. I've got maximum performance preferred checked in nvidia settings, even tried disabling vsync in the launcher, and all the suggestions in these forums. Even tried low performance mode and got the exact same performance. I've disabled everything but the bare essentials in windows.

If I bump it down to the next highest res, it runs fine. I don't mind playing in that, but just curious if anyone has any suggestions that may let me run it at the max res. thanks!

on a side note, its amazing how well this game holds up in higher resolutions. beautiful stuff!

frame skip off?

EDIT: O iguess it's directly related to the res...

yeah it's consistent no matter what I do-- disable everything, max everything- same halved framerate at 3840x2160.

Works fine for me at 4K. Your setup may not be powerful enough due to how badly PSO is coded. I have a 1080ti and a i7-6700k.

970GTX isn't exactly the fastest card. That's like midrange of 2 generations ago. (We're on Volta now, Pascal was just barely enough for 4K, Maxwell, which is the MID RANGE of the generation 970GTX is a part of, was only a 2K card sometimes.)

Last edited:
Gotcha, I guess it is older than I think lol

I'm holding out for as long as possible before upgrading!

but when i do...i'll be sure to use my fancy new rig on 4k PSO :p

I think I figured out the solution to this. I also have a GTX 970, Intel I5 3570k quad core 3.40 ghz processor, and 16 gig of ram, and was getting like...5 fps when i ran this in 3840X2160.

Goto your Nvida Control panel, make sure color format is set to YCBCR 4:4:4 Otherwise, at least for me, it would revert to 30hz when I started PSO and I'd get that junk frame rate. Once I changed my settings to that, poof. No issues and smooth sailing.

I hope this helps!

Back