3:2 Resolution and stretching in full screen

FriendPie

I have a 3:2 screen ratio on my laptop, and I'd love to play this game full screen without any stretching. If I play with a 16:9 or 4:3 resolution, everything is either stretched tall or wide (which is expected).

I know 3:2 wasn't a common ratio when this game was released, so it's not included in the native settings. Is there any way to get this game to run full screen without stretching it out? I wouldn't mind even if that meant adding black boxes.

I'm using dgvoodoo 2 to run this game (I feel like I get performance boosts from it). If any of you are familiar with it, are there any settings in this wrapper that could allow the game to be played without stretching full screen?

Thanks!

You should be able to achieve this by changing the scaling method. I'm not familiar with the wrapper but it doesn't sound like it is anywhere near as easy as doing it through Windows.

What is your OS and (i)GPU?

Old games like PSO don't understand the concept of pillarboxing or letterboxing. The only way to preserve the aspect ratio is to use window mode or a 4:3 monitor, AFAIK. If there's a way to force the game to hold its aspect ratio in fullscreen, I'd also like to know about it. >_>; (PSO PC has the same problem.)

Old games like PSO don't understand the concept of pillarboxing or letterboxing. The only way to preserve the aspect ratio is to use window mode or a 4:3 monitor, AFAIK. If there's a way to force the game to hold its aspect ratio in fullscreen, I'd also like to know about it. >_>; (PSO PC has the same problem.)

You don't let the game do it. God knows what I did with PSOPC so I only tried it on Tsukihime and PSOBB, but NVIDIA's GPU scaling still does letterboxing fine. You will need to use classic fullscreen for it to work.

Which is mostly why I asked about the OS - from what I understand, Windows 10 won't let you roll with Classic Fullscreen. I don't know how to remedy if that is the case.

Is that a Windows 10 thing? I can force AA/AF on PSO with nVidia Inspector, but it has never tried to correct the aspect ratio in fullscreen under Windows 7.

You should be able to achieve this by changing the scaling method. I'm not familiar with the wrapper but it doesn't sound like it is anywhere near as easy as doing it through Windows.

What is your OS and (i)GPU?

I'm on Windows 10 and I have an NVIDIA GeForce MX150 & Intel UHD Graphics 620 (i7) onboard.

I use dgvoodoo to get PSO to use my dedicated GPU (at least it makes FFXI use my dedicated GPU instead of my onboard GPU). I'll mess around with both my dgvoodoo settings and my Nvidia settings to see if I can't get it full screen and scaled correctly. When I play, FFXI plays at 1280x800 fullscreen (no letterboxing) and scaled correctly with an add-on. Not sure how but I'd love to try to get PSO to work the same way, if not letterboxing will do the trick.

Edit:

With dgvoodoo2, I set my window settings to "Stretched, Keep aspect ratio" and selected only Classic Fullscreen mode in the Ephinea launcher settings. Works perfectly! Aspect ratio is maintained, and I have small letterboxing, which is fine. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Last edited:
For future reference if anyone want to do that as well (and for nvidia users)

You have to change that setting in the control panel:
X281sr1.jpg

It's on "Display" by default, change it to GPU and all the games should letterbox (even old games, I've tried some myself)

Last edited:
Back