I have stopped forcing myself to play / finish games I don't enjoy.

Starting with objectively the best Souls game is probably where you went wrong, it's hard going from fast paced and fluid to slow and clunky. Hell I started the series with Dark Souls and I can't play DS3 for more than five minutes after Bloodborne. Aside from the lazy chalice dungeons that game is perfection.

You should've started with Dark Souls, going through that game for the first time was a hell of an experience. Dark Souls 2 is ass and Demon's Souls is pretty good but I played that one second so I'm a little biased.

Reactions: Ade
There's enough more important things we don't want to do which we have to do. The lesser things ultimately have to get dropped.

Kinda relevant here. I was working on a Humar build and had it at lvl 197. I had always "wanted" a lvl 200 build since as far back as GameCube. Had around lvl 127, Never had the access to TTF back then and knew it was basically unrealistic.realized now that it was a childish obsession. But given that the Xmas event had a exp booster I knew I was going to reach it then and have that 15 year old goal achieved. It definitely is a ton of grinding to cap that off and it was an excruciating quest spam,but it definitely doesn't sit in the back of my mind anymore.

I just logged out of Warframe for probably the last time. (Sorry @XII : I was hopeful when I logged out, but afterward I did some research.)

I want to buy Platinum so that I can actually give the devs some money (the gameplay is excellent), but after researching the 75% off Platinum daily deal that you can randomly get once in awhile, I found you have a much lower chance to get the discount if you play the game regularly. Basically, if you don't log in for a long time, and then log in suddenly, you get this "Hey, come back!" bonus. I guess the devs figure that if you log in regularly you'll eventually break down and buy Platinum at full price. Their presumptuous conceitedness PISSES ME OFF.

Though this is not as insidious as the recent EA debacle, I will not support a game that attempts to exploit human psychological weaknesses like this. The items that cost Platinum are way over-priced. If you purchase Platinum without the discount, 50 bucks gets you a Warframe and a couple of weapons (basically you pay for a full-priced game to get 3% of the game).

I am done supporting every manner of this. I don't mind full-priced games and DLC that is actually justified (ie. Far Harbor on Fallout 4 since the standalone game is still HUGE). But I'm done with the following:

1. Paying full price for incomplete games.
2. Paying free-to-play games with micro-transactions. (Or, in Warframe's case, macro-transactions.)

Even though Warframe is an excellent free-to-play game (gameplay and combat-wise), the model itself is inherently flawed. You can either spend your whole life playing to make Platinum off other players, or you can spend tons of actual money to get Platinum. However, most people who earn sufficient income to do the latter are responsible and resent being treated like schmucks.

Full-priced games with micro-transactions are bad enough for gaming, but free-to-play games with micro-transactions are even worse. The most successful free games have to REALLY figure out how to sink their hooks into you since you didn't make an initial buy-in. However, in the case of full-priced game (ie. Battlefront), even if the devs can't trick you into buying micro-crap, they still got your 60 bucks. Both models are terrible, however.

My hat off to Warframe for giving me 22 solid hours of enjoyment before I noticed this. I would have loved to pay 60 bucks for a game like this or even a modest monthly sub fee, but none of this "impulse buy rack fire sale" crap. I've had it.

I am SICK of people trying to manipulate psychology to get money off of me. It really makes me resent not only game developers, but the fuckhead psychologists who entered a field of MEDICINE and then turned it against consumers by learning how to take advantage of their weaknesses. This sorry state of affairs is not only a slap in the face to the gaming industry, but to all of humanity.

This is irreversible and everything sucks. It's like douchebag, out-of-touch executives who belong in an episode of South Park have taken the helms of our favorite game developers.

Late edit: Kudos to Soda and all the devs here for always striving to make this an excellent server and never asking anything of anyone. I know it's just a hobby and that nobody is doing this for a living, but it's still incredible. Thanks for being a gleam of hope in all of this.

Last edited:
woof that's a lot of text, but i read it all. i feel you man. i kinda stay away from newer titles for similar reasons: i don't have the time to grind for the items that people pay money for, and while i do okay financially, i can't justify spending more money. seems like lots of games these days would be the equivalent of PSOBB having "elite status" which gives you double EXP and drops, with discounts on $3 lootboxes that *might* have a chance at giving you an uber (but you're not gonna get it). oh and elite subscribers would get a free RR, lv100 vouchers, and better RNG at things like Coren and adding hit to enemy weapons. it's thinly veiled robbery that preys on people with addictive personalities... "if i just buy one more lootbox i'll get it...ok one more...ok one more...shit i'm broke..."

this is why i just play PSOBB :) also it's been too long since we played last so we should change that.

Reactions: Ade
I want to buy Platinum so that I can actually give the devs some money (the gameplay is excellent), but after researching the 75% off Platinum daily deal that you can randomly get once in awhile, I found you have a much lower chance to get the discount if you play the game regularly. Basically, if you don't log in for a long time, and then log in suddenly, you get this "Hey, come back!" bonus. I guess the devs figure that if you log in regularly you'll eventually break down and buy Platinum at full price. Their presumptuous conceitedness PISSES ME OFF.
Not true, this is just a myth and was never confirmed. There are plenty of stories of people playing on and off and never getting it (myself included), while long time players are always getting it. I'm roughly 90 days in and have never dropped it.

The thing with Warframe is that everything is obtainable without spending on Platinum. The only things that require Platinum are extra slots (easily obtainable, although I just bought one of the Prime Access for 50% off) and cosmetics.

However you have to realise that games are business products and companies will do things to entice you to spend money, but thankfully with DE, you never have to, and a Prime Access (which is already about 50% off for the Platinum) will give you enough Platinum to buy all the slots you'll ever need.

You're not going to make a difference by avoiding games, so you might as well just enjoy yourself.

@Matt

The idea of acting on principle implicitly contains the possibility that one will not immediately (or possibly ever) see the direct results of their actions. The alternative is never objecting to anything that appears wrong or unjust, which is unacceptable. Your defeatist stance surprises me.

Edit: Regarding the Platinum debate: I'll believe what you say when the developer debunks the accusations. Their silence is damning. If it was truly random, how would that hurt them to admit it? It would only be logical for them to remain silent on the issue if manipulation was occurring.

Last edited:
Typically an accusation has to provide the evidence, not the other way around. Where exactly did you get this info from? The only place I've ever seen this mentioned is Steam Community, and SC is full of retards.

You could also just email them and ask. If they never give you a response, then you can assume that they're a bunch of conniving cartoon villains who spend each morning plotting ways to steal candy from babies while rubbing their hands together menacingly.

Okay, I put my money where my mouth is; I emailed DE. I'll even give them a couple of weeks to respond before I assume badly about them. But at that point, it will be FAIR to assume I'm either not worth answering, or they don't want me to know. I do not want to do business with a company that won's disclose basic information.

Hello,

I love Warframe's gameplay. Good stuff.

I want to purchase Platinum, but I'm really dissatisfied with how little a person can buy (per dollar) with full-priced Platinum. What are the odds of getting the 75% Platinum discount on login? And does it change based on how often you log in?

I'll level here: I get this strange feeling that the reason this information isn't readily available is because the rate is manipulated in a way that encourages dedicated players to purchase full price Platinum. I really hope this isn't true.

Thanks,

-[name deleted]- relatively new Warframe player who wants to get into the game and give your company money as long as the deals are fair

Update:

Well, I never got a response after 16 days. I assume I'm either not worth responding to, or they don't want to reveal the odds. Either way, I don't want to do business with a company that:

A. Thinks they're too important to answer a question from a potential customer. Or...
B. Doesn't want to be transparent with how it conducts business.

These are basic things that companies are expected to do to attract and retain customers. I don't know why video game and technology companies get a free pass on such crappy customer service. Ever try talking to anyone at Steam or Facebook? It's impossible. Apparently DE follows suit.

Well, I guess I'll spend my money elsewhere. Their loss. (And mine, too. I really wanted to enjoy the game, but I just don't trust this company now.)

Am I still being unreasonable? Or do you give some credit to what I say now?

Last edited:
Unreasonable.

No one really cares how you feel or how you wanna spend your money, especially on a completely unrelated games forum.

If they haven't responded for 16 days, just let it go? Is it that hard?

There's a few people who had interest in the topic and how it was going to play out, thank you very much.

Eh, the F2P/P2P micro-transaction model doesn't really bother me that much (I do have to admit that it preys on those with reckless spending/gambling habits, tough), but that honestly depends on how big of a benefit one gets from spending money. If it's something minor like cosmetics (ex: hats in TF2, simple costumes in MMOs, or Overwatch's* loot boxes which contain ONLY cosmetics (also coins to buy cosmetics directly, but regardless)) or just simple conveniences (like buying weapons**, which drop normally anyway, directly from TF2's store, or extra inventory/storage in some cases), then I'm fine with that. Bonus if most of those same items can be obtained through normal gameplay (ex: Overwatch's loot boxes can be earned through weekly win markers or leveling up). But if it's something that gives spending players an advantage over everyone else, such as cash-only equipment that far exceed normal F2P limits, costumes that give stat bonuses (one of the unfortunate sins Dragon Nest committed, though the silver lining is that daily DNP can still allow for access to costumes with time), and EA'S MOST RECENT PILE OF CRAP, that's where I start drawing lines. Special mention goes to any and all PvP games that have non-cosmetic microtransactions, as their cash privileges can easily reach the point of P2W in a game setting where balance is already difficult to implement, and which is often 75%+ of the game (the other <%25 being lackluster PvE content that serves no other purpose than to be a boring grindfest that gives you the bare minimum for PvP entry early on and little else by mid-game. Burn in hell, Eternal Saga. You were fun for a time, but burn in hell for your indiscriminate PvP matchmaking and P2W cash shop).

Back to the actual topic, I've kinda been feeling the same way honesty (which partially explains my somewhat-slow progress in the current PSO season). It's not because I dislike any of the games I have (except The Last Airbender for the DS, but I pushed myself to clear that one because it was a Christmas gift and I figured I'd make the most of it, so that was more of a love/hate relationship), and I've typically been able to figure out a game's controls or battle system either through research or trial and error (otherwise, I would have never been able to get as far as I did in Monster Hunter, despite being somewhat more forgiving than Dark Souls). It's just that, like most people here, I've been a gamer for quite a while now (25, but first real experience was with SNES and Genesis emulators and a couple PC games while I was in middle school), and it's reached the point where games no longer have that "pull" that they used to have when I was younger. I even have a bit of the same experience with Pokemon Sun as Dark Nephthys had (though I didn't get it until Ultra Sun/Moon was out), despite having started with Colosseum/Gale of Darkness rather than being a Gen1 player and skipping 4th gen (and the only spin-off I really played being Pokemon Conquest). Of course, none of that stops me from making the effort to complete games that I like (even if I have to take regular breaks so as to not burn out on them) while getting as many reasonable achievement/goals as possible. There are points where I might go for the more ballsy achievements (such as clearing all of Senran Kagura: Burst's stages in Frantic Mode (Daidoji's going to DESTROY me before I get that one), or clearing up to 30 waves of Endless Marathon in Epic Battle Fantasy 4), though none of those will include TA-style achievements since I'm not a TA player (rip any chance I have of getting into Challenge Mode parties if/when I decide to go for those clear achievements/S-rank weapons this season, despite being a HUcast).

*Note: I haven't played Overwatch myself, but I've watched my brother play it often, so I know how the loot boxes work.
**TF2's weapons are mostly balanced compared to stock weapons, but a couple are still either very powerful or completely useless in top-tier competitive play.

I've always loved video games. When I was a kid it was easier for me to get into RPGs, MMO's etc. These days I can only play a few games consistently. One thing I realized about my gaming preferences is I don't like to be told what to do. Which pretty much limits me to sandbox games and older MMO's/RPGs that are so simplistic you can just do what you want without long mandatory quest lines etc.

I've noticed a lot of my friends get burnt out on these type of open/simplistic games. They have told me it's because there is no direction/end game. I love that aspect, it lets me use my creativity/imagination to fill in the gaps. I need that in a game.

Back