When you play with others do you also have a slight desyncing?

danmct

Guildcard
When I play with others sometimes the drops from enemy's appear a few feet away from where the enemy dies. The bigger issue however, is when another player is attacking and it seems they're attacking something completely different from what they're actually attacking. When I play with my wife, she will usually opt to be a ranger and sit behind me, but even when I'm in the front she gets hit with nothing around her. On her computer, she'll be surrounded. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? (We both have around 90-100 ping normally)

It's completely normal and just how the game works. All combat is client side and really only boss actions are somewhat synchronized for clients (host client rolls the action and tells other clients). Even the damage values, miss/hit, crit rolls, and many others are desynced, although Sega attempted to seed the monster PRNG the same among clients (but it very quickly deviates). There's no practical way to synchronize such behavior in this game's architecture.

The only thing that can be trusted is what your client sees. A player in your party may have frozen that Goran Detonator on the first possible frame on their client... But on your client it's possible the spawn happened some number of frames earlier and the Detonator warped and is about to hit you.

There's also an annoying issue where if the room creator has lag issues....Everyone in the party will feel the effects as well! That can also cause a few buggy issues like watching someone fighting....NOTHING There! Just be happy a red box doesn't fall inside some rocks or other inaccessible areas! nya~! Stay SANE~! =3!

It's completely normal and just how the game works. All combat is client side and really only boss actions are somewhat synchronized for clients (host client rolls the action and tells other clients). Even the damage values, miss/hit, crit rolls, and many others are desynced, although Sega attempted to seed the monster PRNG the same among clients (but it very quickly deviates). There's no practical way to synchronize such behavior in this game's architecture.

The only thing that can be trusted is what your client sees. A player in your party may have frozen that Goran Detonator on the first possible frame on their client... But on your client it's possible the spawn happened some number of frames earlier and the Detonator warped and is about to hit you.
Thank you for explaining the issue. Would there be anything I could do to minimize this issue like plugging an ethernet directly into my modem or something? Sorry for the late reply!

Thank you for explaining the issue. Would there be anything I could do to minimize this issue like plugging an ethernet directly into my modem or something? Sorry for the late reply!
Not really. It might improve your latency, but the combat is client-side and monster AI rolls their next actions typically on frame intervals that are in no way synchronized. It's just how this game was designed by Sega 22 years ago.

I've seen this too and it's not just your normal client sync issues. When playing in online groups everything works totally fine besides the occasional lag. But when I tried playing with my spouse on the same network, it was totally unplayable – we each looked like we were attacking and being killed by thin air on each other's screens. I've never had that problem with remote players.

I've seen this too and it's not just your normal client sync issues. When playing in online groups everything works totally fine besides the occasional lag. But when I tried playing with my spouse on the same network, it was totally unplayable – we each looked like we were attacking and being killed by thin air on each other's screens. I've never had that problem with remote players.
Hmm if its a problem with the same network I will try to work around it with a hotspot and see if its any better. Thanks for bringing that up!

we each looked like we were attacking and being killed by thin air on each other's screens. I've never had that problem with remote players.
Yes, because you can see the exact screen of remote players to see that they're attacking and being attacked by the same things you are.

But, seriously, the same thing happens with remote players even if you believe it doesn't. Ender's first post in this thread is correct.

The game isn't synchronized at all, whether on the same network or not, except for boss fights, really.

Clients just let others know which monster ID they've attacked or that they've been, but the game does not transmit monster coordinates, what they're attacking or anything like that, except for bosses.

Game was built from the ground up for dialup and synchronization is one of the compromises the developers decided to make.

Back