What type of work I've done on the game so far

Komishiro85

So far I've been editing and learning the ins and outs of files. I managed to change the level cap and experience (Thanks to Tofuman). The only problem is, I'm using version 1.25.10 and I've tried numerous times to get it to work on that version. But, the makers of the game had it the information tightly secured. So, I am going to wait until I can find a way to update the game without using Visual Basic. It seems I can do everything else. But, The patch tofuman made was a life saver to most people. I could never get that patch to work though even with Microsoft Visual Studio Express. Even when it said success, that was not the case. Anyways, I wont keep rambling on that, because I have to explain my current work.

Ok, first of all, I looked around and this seems pretty on topic so I'm sure I have it posted in the right section. Forgive me if I don't. I was able to mess around with the experience boost (old news), but, I also found out a good way to change the level cap and experience you gain using Tofuman's file he so kindly provided. In the beginning nothing changed even when I created the Player Level Table bin file. I knew at that point that Tofuman must have thoroughly tried getting it to work on 1.25.10, but I found a way to actually make the change. But, it wont work properly and becomes buggy. You create the bin file and the prs file. Then open up GSL Updater and open the data.gsl file and it will load a lot of gsl files. You'll see the plyleveltbl.cpt file and you can save that file. Even if it only overrides the prs file you have, you can just paste the plyleveltbl.bin and prs file back into the server folder. At that point you can go on the game and it will automatically update the game and kick you off. Re-sign in and the game will load. The experience will then show your new edit.

But, it wont work. At that point even if you get the new required experience, it will skip that and still show that you need 0 experience left. It will then wait until you get 4 level ups worth of experience and skip you all the way to level 5 from level 1. Then the next time you level up will be at level 18. SO, please don't use that technique to edit your game without recompiling it with an update on Visual Studio or a similar program. It could also be that where I got the download from was using different version files of .dll or .lib ....But, even Tofuman explained that the game has to be recompiled and it even says so in the file. But, you can go ahead and test it out if you want on the way I did it, but you're just going to get a buggy leveling system that doesn't even give you the right amount of xp per enemy kill.

Ok, now off to another direction. I was able to get the easiest mods to work. I usually leave the game on Christmas, so changing seasons is cake walk and even a 3 year old could learn that. I also changed the mod skin to knuckles (yes he's everyone's favorite sonic character :p) and wait!!! There's more!!...

I also figured out that mag maker doesn't work the way it should on my game. So, I just used the one from item maker. I did everything on mag maker including doing the numbers backwards like it showed. I followed the simple steps and realized mag maker wasn't for me. So, I used the mag selection under Item maker and it worked wonders. For those of you confused why you can't make the stats what ever you want them to be. For one, the numbers work mathematically. They wont allow you to use decimals either. The number has to be a whole number. If you set it to 1 on 2 stats, you'll get 81 for both numbers. Same if you set all 4 stats at 1. You are limited though. If for what ever reason you decide to go over 200 points worth, the next time you load up the game, the stats will go all the way down to 0 the next time you log on. That's because the game only reads 200 points, and that would have to be changed manually in the files themselves, most likely using hex editor. But, if you notice, there is a plus symbol next to where you enter the number. For example: Level points 655 +99 That is the max amount of points that will show on the item maker under mag. You'll notice that the +99 stands for the max amount of points before it level's your mag up. Well, that is just the xp number. The main number is where I put 655. Now, your mag will be extremely strong at that amount of points, but once you log off, it resets.

Conslusion: I add one point next to the top 2 stats for my mag representing power and defense. Both of those stats will then become 81 which equals 162. To me, that's pretty good if you want to create a mag real fast at a high level.

I've been able to create all kinds of items. I noticed that creating items of modded weapons causes them to be worth 10 meseta even if they don't have a ??? symbol. I believe the game was patched that way so people couldn't cheat. That's just what I believe. Well, I have a bunch of tools to create quests (yes sodaboy, the famous qedit that you listed and I was able to download that. I can't wait to use it! :D)

Also, someone said not to use asmpatch on a topic. The guy was completely wrong and did not follow instructions. Tofuman knows what he's doing and would not make something that did not work. For one, the file cannot say Example on it. If you try to compile your game with it showing example, it wont work. If you take away example and leave it as asmpatch, you're most likely going to break your game, because the hex code in there is just an example code. I might not know how to edit hex codes, but I know what they look like an what they are for. Tofuman just wanted to make everyone's lives easier and he had a good plan. He never claimed that everything was perfect, but just like emulators, his plan worked out over 90 something percent compared to the tiny percent that is the User's fault and not his.

I am not a scripter, but I can edit scripts that already exist. All I really did was put Tofuman's work into motion. I still haven't been able to compile the game with Visual Studio Express 2010. I'm not going to blame it on 2010 edition, but most likely who ever uploaded the game on TheIsoZone must have used different version .dll or .lib files. There is one main .dll file needed in the server to compile the game that I know of. The rest are based on pbd and lib files that hold most of that power to compiling. There are other extensions involved though. But, I gave my brain a rest until later. I'm going to have a lot of work to do.

I'm basically going to raise the level cap and lower the amount of xp needed. I don't want people getting bored of a game taking forever. Games are much more fun when you can reach higher levels and at a faster pace. You can still make the game real long, just add a higher level cap. Disgaea was great because you could reach a high level cap of 9999 and it would take a long time to reach it. But you would reach fast levels which made it fun and entertaining. To me Dawn of Mana was a failed mana series game because there were only 3 level ups for your character. You can level up 3 times then you go back to the beginning level on each new stage. To me, it really killed the good fun I had many years ago. Those of you that love Legend of Mana would know what I am talking about. You got to do a lot of grinding. I love grinding. I dislike rpg's that kill the whole purpose of grinding, except Zelda. I don't care who thinks Zelda is not an rpg, it is. You play the role of link and you get to earn heart containers that raise your health and you get to change your armor. Anything with lots of item changes and having a main character with a story is an rpg. As for rpg elements, to me those are games like "Sonic Heroes" or "sonic adventure". Neither of those games were rpgs but had elements that it seem that way. Sonic heroes had level ups and sonic adventure had a story mode where you can earn items and get stronger abilities. But, Zelda on the other hand had a life gauge and dungeons. I will not argue about it though because I do not believe in creating flame topics, so I will leave it at that.

Anyways, I want to work on adding quests and add new dungeons. I know it's going to take a long time, but my drive is pretty big. I definitely want there to be motivation and hype in this. I want to be able to push my limits. My main focus is creating a fair stat system. I'm tired of seeing weak damage. The attacks are not the problem. It's the amount of damage. I want even the weaker characters to be able to take away 1000 hp on a single move. But that also means I'll have to increase the enemy hp to 10,000 or more, but that's fine with me. Everyone wants to see more damage and more xp gained. This 350 xp - 400 xp on ultimate is a joke. I don't want to have to double the xp or triple it just to see a cool xp number. See, experience boost is really nice as a bonus, but, I would much rather create an xp system where I can change all the enemy xp rates to a better range. First thing I'm going to do is make it to where the weakest enemies (not including the mosquitos) give you 10 xp. In most rpgs you are supposed to level up quick (except disgaea games, but disgaea is a tactical strategy rpg, so that's different than this kind of rpg). In this one you should level up faster in the beginning and then slower towards the end. But, that's not how this game works. It takes forever just to level up once, then it gets fast, then slow again. It has an unbalance that really doesn't work out. Also, I want to make it to where you can't play warrior's pride right away. That level is a cheat for any newbie to use. So, I'll make it to where you have to be level 70 before you get to unlock that level.

Also, I'm going to make it to where you get less xp if it's shared xp. I'm going to remove that part so people can't use it to be lazy. I want to create a full gaming environment that will keep everyone entertained. You'll get more xp for soloing, but all the harder bosses will be on the multiplayer stages, which I'm going to allow anyone to play on solo. I'll make sure the boses give like 10x the amount of xp any standard enemy will give. That way it will make the grinding more enjoyable. I'll make sure to add Legendary gear so players can then be legendary players.

Well I'm going to have a lot of work to do but I can do this! I want to make it so people can reach extremely high levels and just keep updating the game with new levels. I thank those of you for taking the time on reading this. This really helps me build confidence. I feel like I have the ability to make a difference and that's what I want to do :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've moved this to the Tethealla Project forum for you -- just so you know the top section of the forum relates to the Ephinea Private Server, which is a public free-to-play private server ran by Sodaboy and Tofuman, while the bottom half relates to the software and other servers.

Right now it's in "Troubleshooting" as I couldn't really think of anywhere else to put it since there's no real General section for the Teth forums, but the Teth forums are not really my thing.

Komishiro85

Great, I knew I would eventually get in trouble :( and I really like this place :( I don't even get a good spot :(

I can honestly tell you my post is not about technical difficulties, but based more on what I've been doing on the game. You said I would be moved to projects :/ but you're the man in charge. Already I feel like I might be a problem here :( Eventually I feel like an outcast.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Slow down, you haven't done anything wrong.

bac74892f6.png

As you can see in the pic, there are the Ephinea forums and the Tethealla forums. Your project is related to the Tethealla software and not the Ephinea private server, thus it has been moved into one of Tethealla's subforums. However, since there's not really any "general" forum for Tethealla like there is for Ephinea, I've just moved it here for now since it *seemed* to be the most fitting, though nothing really fit.

Komishiro85

Well, it's not troubleshooting. I had some problems along the way, but it's definitely more focused on my work than anything. I guess that makes sense seeing as though there isn't a spot for it. But, troubleshooting is like bottom of the food chain lol. It's like the credits in the movie that no one pays attention to "sound test crew" lol.

Please don't give me some crazy nickname like "bottom feeder komi" lol. I actually used to run a website with a friend. He used to pay for the server. A few of us were the founders of the site. We originally started out as a big guild on a game, then we decided to run a website which lasted for months. One day he took it down though. I haven't heard back from him. He was a great friend, too. But they were ready to move on in gaming and they decided to not talk to me anymore and just shut down the site. I really didn't do anything to them and the 3 of us were great friends. They might have had problems or something that I didn't know about and probably didn't want me knowing. The other person was his wife, so it would make sense that she would know what was going on and I didn't. They could have emailed me at least :(

I think they should add an offline project section on this site. Hopefully they add a spot for that :)