What to do next...

JackSalad

Guildcard
I'm at a point where I have a lot of things to do in this game, but I'm not sure what to do first. I've played PSO pretty casually over the years, from the official Gamecube servers rife with hacked and duplicated items, to Scht's private servers and now here. I've never really got too much into hunting items or grinding to a high level, I never made it higher than ~130 before now, so when it comes to high level play I'm pretty green.

I got a 174 Pinkal FOnewm and a 116 Skyly HUnewearl as of writing this, so getting to 200 is a definite goal of mine, but they're both undergeared and I feel like better gear will help me level up quicker.

However when I'm running quests for EXP or items I feel like I'm dead weight getting carried by the veteran players, or I'm wasting time in solo mode. So when I'm hunting the gear I need I feel like I need to either be a higher level or I need stronger items so I'm not just getting carried every game.

ES weapons are also a far off goal, but I'm a bit intimidated since I understand how Challenge Mode works, but never really played it. I tried it with my friends way back on GC, playing split screen and getting wrecked every time since none of us knew what we were doing. I don't want to waste other players' time floundering around helplessly through CM, but without doing it I think I'm holding myself back

So far the important items for my Force and my Hunter that I don't have are:
V101, V502, any of the good mid/late game shields, most of the important weapons with any hit% or good %s in general, or any ES weapons like I mentioned before.

Then there's the fact I'm stuck with 2 section IDs and no Ranger character. I want to get some more diversity with SIDs and classes but starting another character feels like I'll have too much on my plate, especially since I've seen how many weapons Rangers need, and the thought of raising a mag and climbing up to 100 with another character feels daunting, considering the gear I have so far.

Apologies for the long-winded post, but I just want to know from some more experienced players-
What should my priorities be for a newish player who's trying to step up?

First of all, dont feel bad for being slow. PSOBB’s power scaling is pretty bad and it becomes ZZZ ez at endgame levels. Its so bad really, that it becomes a competition to even land a hit at all. Luckily the ANGUISH difficulty settings makes it more challenging and your role matter more once you hit endgame fully.

Now onto your items you want.
>v101
Honestly overrated for a new player like you. Yes it adds 15 to each stat and this can matter for max stat mat plans but you are really using it for the attack animation buff. Because of this you are perfectly fine using the H/Batt equip in lieu of this since its literally the same buff minus the stats.
>v502
Very very important equip. I would prioritize this one first and you are in luck since the HBR this month has a good hunt for it. Ive never found it too too hard to find but if it turns out taking you forever you can always buy for 25-35 pds.
>ES weaps
Running cmode is fun and it doesnt really take THAT long so it can be nice to save on the 25 pds. However it can be quite convenient to just buy it from the “cartel”. They are great but for HU and FO arent even entirely neccesary since they can be replaced with something like a Hell Raygun until you have more PD cashflow.
>New RA, section ID choice
Id simply wait for EXP week. I personally use an alt so that i can lvl mysef (the alt should be FO so you can just spam techs) Using efficient strats you can hit 80 in like 4-5 hours. The fastest currently known EXP quest is Sweep Up Operation 12 in Ep 4.
As for the ID simply choose one that has stuff you want/need, either for that character or others. For RA the best weapon they can really hunt for is Heaven Striker. These occur on green, red, and purple IDs. Green and red are basically that same with green being slightly better in my opinion because you will get v101s as well as HS’. Purple is a rare mob hunt (kondy). I dont know what is fastest/most efficient to hunt but kondy hunting (purp) has the added advantage of being easy to do solo, as well as being pretty fast (you just reset at sham if its not kondy).

Last edited:
Iirc the C-mode community really doesn't mind and are happy that people are willing to play the mode at all.

What gear do you have per-chance? It's somewhat easier to formulate what you're missing when we see some stuff. More often than not weapons that make you contribute a lot in runs aren't actually hard to obtain.

In a straight world, vets will still outpace due to sphered gear. However, way more important than gear, knowing what you can and can't do with the gear you have is way more important imo.

Appreciate the replies so far, I might read up on Cmode and see if I can convince my teammate to show me the ropes. I might just see about trading for a v502, I have around 80 photon drops now.

Units:
2 Centurion/Ability
Smartlink
V801
Adept
Heavenly/Battle

Armor:
Thirteen
Mother Garb +

Shields:
Regenerate Gear B.P.
Rafoie Merge
Secret Gear
Anti Light Ring

Mags:
Nidra 5/95/100/0 (For HUnewearl)
Nidra 5/88/61/46 (For FOnewm)

FOnewm weapons:
All the element boosting wands
Glide Divine
Mercurius Rod
Striker of Chao
Diska of Braveman 15Hit
Slicer of Fanatic 25Hit
Bringer's Rifle

HUnewearl weapons:
Excalibur 25%Machine
Demolition Comet
Tyrell's Parasol
Red Sword 15Hit

I've also got a bunch of more or less useless rare weapons I keep around for the sake of collecting them, a 40Hit Hell Raygun, a 0/0/50/50/50 Spirit Vulcan, a 50/0/0/50/50 Calibur and a PGF, but my Hunter isn't a high enough level to combine them.

I usually pass the important gear back and forth between my two characters. I figure I'll worry about getting everyone their own set of weapons and armor later down the line.

Back