Using custom resolution over 1080p causes immediate crash in windowed mode

TreeDude

I prefer to run my MMOs in window so I have access to my monitors. However since PSO:BB doesn't change the render resolution when you drag the window larger I need to use a custom res. But it just causes the game to crash. If I use 1440p it works but then my start bar cuts things off. I was trying to use 2432x1368 but that crashed. I tried a few others but nothing worked. So far I am stuck with a 1080p window on a 1440p monitor.

PSOBB is usually only happy with the resolutions listed in the launcher.

If you create a custom resolution with your graphics card control panel and it shows up in the launcher, it should also work. If not, well, you’re gunna have to figure it out.

You could try a different DX API to see if that helps too.

The resolution needs to be available to your PC.

The resolution you want works fine; you need to follow the provided instructions and actually create the resolution with your GPU first.
I think the forum might have resized this....you'll just have to trust me!
weird resolution.jpg

(sorry for necro) I have a solution which should work on any GPU. dgVoodoo2 (used by Ephinea's higher DirectX modes) can force the game to accept more resolutions than GPU drivers report. You can add up to 16 in comma-separated WxH format -- example dgVoodoo.conf below:
Code:
[DirectXExt]
ExtraEnumeratedResolutions = 5760x1080,3840x2160
The Ephinea Launcher currently generates a fresh dgVoodoo.conf on launch, which prevents this tweak.
As workaround, make sure other settings are exactly as you want them, then add the resolution, save, right click the .conf file > Properties > enable Read Only.
If that does not work, set Ephinea to DX8 mode and manually install dgVoodoo2 (though this will disable the awesome HUDless Bloom effects).

@Sodaboy if you want a permanent fix :
When a Custom Resolution is written in Launcher, use its values for a matching ExtraEnumeratedResolutions = {W}x{H} in dgVoodoo.conf / [DirectXExt]

Last edited:
(sorry for necro) I have a solution which should work on any GPU. dgVoodoo2 (used by Ephinea's higher DirectX modes) can force the game to accept more resolutions than GPU drivers report. You can add up to 16 in comma-separated WxH format -- example dgVoodoo.conf below:
Code:
[DirectXExt]
ExtraEnumeratedResolutions = 5760x1080,3840x2160
The Ephinea Launcher currently generates a fresh dgVoodoo.conf on launch, which prevents this tweak.
As workaround, make sure other settings are exactly as you want them, then add the resolution, save, right click the .conf file > Properties > enable Read Only.
If that does not work, set Ephinea to DX8 mode and manually install dgVoodoo2 (though this will disable the awesome HUDless Bloom effects).

@Sodaboy if you want a permanent fix :
When a Custom Resolution is written in Launcher, use its values for a matching ExtraEnumeratedResolutions = {W}x{H} in dgVoodoo.conf / [DirectXExt]
Thanks for this, I'll take a peek at it later.

Maybe around the same time as I enable the tweak for adjusting the damage numbers via a sliding scale.

I've been busy with personal stuff lately, but I'll have some time soon to hopefully put both of these things in.

@Sodaboy You're welcome :) Thank you very much!

No rush, but I notice the Launcher's Custom Resolution fields accept only up to 4 digits (e.g. 9999x9999); may that limit please be removed or increased to 5? I have been experimenting with Stereoscopic VR (VorpX's Sonic Adventure 1 preset) and downscaling / artistic screenshots; higher factors would be very useful.

Again, no rush - especially regarding scaling damage numbers or anything else - I have also been very busy with personal stuff, so I understand completely.
Thank you for everything!!

Last edited:
Back