Unplayable FPS

I cannot tell you why, but my Alienware 17 R4 cannot successfully play this game.
I have tried most everything at this point, including changing most every setting, uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers, maximizing priorities, individually maximizing power settings, turning v-sync on/off, administrator settings, forcing it to run through the gpu as opposed to the onboard, turning off my onboard gpu "just in case" when that didn't work.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The moment I get into a room, even my own, it drops to nearly unplayable - combat especially so. A different, much, much much worse computer in the house runs it perfectly fine.

Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (30Hz)
Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (30.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

I'm guessing you can't use Display port for some reason, but you probably need a newer HDMI cable to handle 60Hz for starters. Unfortunately there is a good chance this won't fix PSO but 30Hz desktops......
When you say "The moment I get into a room," are you saying there are no issues in the lobby? And have you tried playing Window at 1920x1080 with any changes? I'm assuming any other games you play run just fine?

edit: I must have been really tired because I could have sworn I read the R4 was a desktop...still, it seems weird that Windows identifies the R4 screen that way, so check your refresh settings just in case regardless.

Last edited:
Does your laptop have one of those NVIDIA Optimus auto switching graphics option?

I’d bet it is using the Intel HD Graphics instead of your NVIDIA graphics to play PSO. You’ll have to force it to use the NVIDIA by adding an exception, if so.

Another way to trick it is to use one of those ENB or Direct3D PSO mods.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies!
Gave it a shot at 1080p with 60Hz refresh, and unfortunately it did not change much.
I also fiddled with the fog settings, to no avail.

It doesn't have Optimus or an autoswitching graphics option as I believe it does automatically, but I have been forcing it to run with the NVIDIA graphics

I tried one of the mods as well, dgVoodoo? It also, did not help haha

Do other games run fine? Important to get clear, dying hardware is a factor.

My laptop did the same exact thing when I got, totally unplayable until I changed up some settings in the graphic control. Can you post a pic of where you can modify, fog, draw distance, frame skip etc. I'll compare to mine and if they are different to mine I'll post my setup.

Other games run pretty well, definitely more graphics intensive games than PSO
I suspected at one point my graphics card was going down hill when I got some unexpected crashes about a year ago, but my computer seems to be doing alright now, so long as I'm careful about overheating and not doing anything crazy intensive

Attached my PSOBB options
I'm more than willing to mess with them, but please do note that the current settings are only for my latest trial, and I have tried many different combinations.

Attachments

• PSOBB Options.png
    PSOBB Options.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
Back