Unicode dinput8 was created, cannot continue

Dongra

Unicode dinput8 was created, cannot continue
Getting this error upon launching the client. Anyone seen this before?

Do you have addons or ENB or something like that installed? iirc they can cause this issue sometimes. Currently there's no fix for it afaik.

Yeah, loads without the add ons. Cannot seem to get them to function again without that error popping up now.

That stuff has nothing to do with the addons that work with the DLL tho.
Any other stuff like AHK scripts or similar?

Just the LUA addons were used for the floor scan, etc. Otherwise I have no skins or mods of anykind. Trying to place the add ons back in the folder creates that error so I can only play without them at the moment.

I am a bit confused.
If you don't have the item reader addon, then the whole addon stuff starts correctly and you get the addon's main menu?
Or you mean removing the DLL too?

Sorry, I can try to explain a bit better. The client will run if I remove the dll file, if I leave it in it causes that error.

I just remembered, I saw this error message in Eidolon's plugin code.
https://github.com/HybridEidolon/psobbaddonplugin/blob/master/bbmod/src/dinput8.cpp#L146

According to Microsoft's documentation, there are two valid values for that r_iid variable.

Unique identifier of the desired interface. This value is IID_IDirectInput8A or IID_IDirectInput8W. Passing the IID_IDirectInput8 define selects the ANSI or Unicode version of the interface, depending on whether UNICODE is defined during compilation.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...dk.reference.directinput8create(v=vs.85).aspx

... and that's as far as I got. I have no idea why it would be passing the identifier for the Unicode version of the interface.

I realize I'm necroing this post, but for anyone who found the thread searching for a solution like I did, I was having this issue(Unicode dinput8 was created, cannot continue) after launching for the same reason. I managed to fix it. Only happened when I had Evolve running in the background(was interfering somehow). When I closed Evolve, it ran fine.

So it might just be external software interference. I figured it out by turning my antivirus on 'Interactive Mode' which prompts me for any inbound or outbound detected communication- it detected Evolve trying to interact.

Goodluck for anyone who might be having this issue!

Well.. that sounds like it's possible...
That issue is in the todo list for the dinput8 dll but I don't think we are able to trigger that...

What's evolve anyway?

Well.. that sounds like it's possible...
That issue is in the todo list for the dinput8 dll but I don't think we are able to trigger that...

What's evolve anyway?

It's a VPN client specifically geared at gamers. I think the website is evolvehq.com or something similar.

It's a VPN client specifically geared at gamers. I think the website is evolvehq.com or something similar.

It must be the overlay, then. Not sure how it's injecting itself into the PSO process and changing the r_iid. I can try to look into it later.

EDIT: I have confirmed that simply disabling the overlay for PSO resolves the problem.

EDIT2: So it seems that Evolve is, in fact, injecting code into remote processes in order to set up its overlay. The reason we get the Unicode error is because the dll loaded by Evolve actually calls the DirectInput8Create() function with its own set of parameters before the psobb.exe assembly is able to do so itself.

Last edited:
My apologies if I've missed something. I just ran into this error. I reloaded my computer, for this and other reasons, and I'm still getting this error when launching PSO, with the addons. I tried taking out different files and also found that the dinput8.dll file was the culprit. I copied a friend's file, and that didn't work.
May I ask how you fixed it? I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the overlay for PSO. I practically have no software on this computer due to the reload, so I'm not sure what could be interfering. Any help would be appreciated! :D

My apologies if I've missed something. I just ran into this error. I reloaded my computer, for this and other reasons, and I'm still getting this error when launching PSO, with the addons. I tried taking out different files and also found that the dinput8.dll file was the culprit. I copied a friend's file, and that didn't work.
May I ask how you fixed it? I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the overlay for PSO. I practically have no software on this computer due to the reload, so I'm not sure what could be interfering. Any help would be appreciated! :D
EvolveHQ is injecting code into PSO:BB in order to display its overlay. You should be able to go into the EvolveHQ interface and disable the overlay in specific applications.

Back