The Steam Input / Controller Guide

Did this tutorial get your Steam Controller (or Steam Input-modified controller) up and running?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Xira

STEAM DECK USERS
DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE - go to https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/ephinea-pso-bb-on-steam-deck-official-thread.24850/

PURPOSE OF THIS GUIDE
  • Minimize touching the keyboard: control 1-0 Keyboard Hotbar or even SHIFT-F(X) Keyboard Shortcuts with gamepad
  • Compatible with most gamepads (and possibly the Steam Deck)
  • Access community-made profiles through the ingame Steam Overlay
  • Cure having to restart PSO if your controller gets unplugged
  • Similar to Antimicro (best alternative - can work in tandem with this), VigEm, XPadder, reWASD, Pinnacle Game Profiler, Logitech Gaming Software / GHUB, Microsoft Xbox Accessories, Razer Synapse, etc.

GETTING STARTED
  • Ephinea Launcher Options: Make sure Direct3D API is set to Direct3D 9 or higher, then launch the game at least once.
  • The Steam Overlay is necessary for all of this to work, and it often doesn't work well with Direct3D 8 (PSO's default).

ADDING EPHINEA TO STEAM
DESKTOP MODE INSTRUCTIONS
  • Lower left corner of the Steam Library View: [+] ADD A GAME > Add a Non-Steam Game...
  • Wait 15 sec. for it to find Ephinea (may be listed as "online.exe") or use [ Browse... ]
  • [✓] Checkmark it on the left and hit [ Add Selected Program ] button. Proceed to next section.
STEAM DECK / BIG PICTURE MODE INSTRUCTIONS
  • Hit the ⚙ Gear icon in the upper right corner
  • Go to the [ System ] header
  • Add Library Shortcut ], scroll for & click Ephinea PSOBB / "online.exe". Proceed to next section.

⚠️WARNING: The Shortcut Name directly affects which Community Profiles are available to you. To access Controller Configuration Profiles published by the PSOBB Community, your Library Shortcut must be named EXACTLY the same as they did. I use "Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst" (without quotes) but feel free to play around with other names to see what is out there.

STEAM SETTINGS
  • Visit the Controller settings category.
  • Enter [ GENERAL CONTROLLER SETTINGS ]
  • Check off [✓] the type(s) of controller(s) you have and wish to use with PSOBB. If using a Steam Controller, just make sure it's working okay.
  • Wait a little bit. Your controller should appear soon, below Detected Controllers. When it does, click on it.
  • If your controller doesn't appear, try checking off other controller types. Also, double check it's connected, and (if it is not a Steam Controller) that it appears in the Windows Joystick Control Panel (joy.cpl)
  • If you see a button that says [ DEFINE LAYOUT ] to the right, press it. You will be presented with a gamepad image and a list of bindings. Using your mouse & keyboard, click each item and press the corresponding button on your physical gamepad, then Save.
  • If the controller appears, but the Define Layout button is missing, don't worry about it. Steam Controllers & latest DualShocks don't show it.
  • Visit the In-Game Steam Settings category.
  • ENABLE [✓] Use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from desktop

START EPHINEA FROM INSIDE STEAM (always, from now on)
  • Run the Ephinea shortcut you made in Steam and enter the game.
    You should see the Steam Big Picture Overlay pop up in the lower right and . . .
DON'T PANIC if your controller is misbehaving. Even if it seems fine, check the following anyway.
  • If you find the main menu scrolling uncontrollably, please unplug your controller for now.
  • Use your keyboard to navigate into the game lobby.
  • Press F12 key -> Options -> Pad Button Config:
    upload_2019-6-30_16-53-40.png
  • If your controller was scrolling uncontrollably:
    - Use keyboard to navigate to Right Analog Forward/Backward and hit ENTER.
    - Plug your controller back in. Wait for Steam to pop up a notice that it has detected it.
    - Push your Right Analog Stick forwards. Hit ESC to save the change. The scrolling should cease. Now re-enter Pad Button Config.
  • Use your keyboard and gamepad together to set all of the options to match that image above.
  • If you still have trouble, close out everything and double check DEFINE LAYOUT from earlier.

ACCESSING COMMUNITY PROFILES
  • Once your Controller is behaving normally, open the Steam Big Picture Overlay (you did enable that earlier, right?).
  • In its Controller Settings, follow the button prompts at the bottom to look for community profiles.
  • If you don't see any profiles, don't forget to check "Show other controller types" and the name of your Steam Shortcut to Ephinea.
To make profiles, here's some great resources:

TROUBLESHOOTING
  • DualShock 4 and 5 controllers may not work properly
    I have no idea how to fix this, as I don't own a DS4 or DS5 yet. If you run into problems of this nature and learn how to fix them, please tell me!

• Controller types in Chat instead of controlling the character
    Push F11.

• Unable to type / missing keystrokes after closing Steam Overlay
    Close and reopen the Overlay a few times in rapid succession to fix.

• Controller may stop working if another Steam game is/was running
    Make sure PSOBB is the first and only game you launch through Steam.

• Steam Overlay does not work after visiting the Ephinea Launcher's [MORE] Options "PSOBB OPTION"
    Entering [MORE] Options temporarily breaks the overlay. Save your [MORE] changes, then quit the launcher and relaunch it from Steam.

• Library Grid View looks ugly and boring
    I got you covered. Go here and skip to Step 4.

• Something else is wrong
    If you need further assistance, you may DM me. My Discord ID is in my forum signature.
    I am no longer providing technical support for this guide at this time.

Last edited:
I recently setup my dualshock 4 in steam input for this game, and noticed that the overlay functionality (such as radial menus) did not function without big picture mode being enabled, so that may be a required step. I also couldn't configure the controller through the desktop steam overlay, weirdly, despite it functioning correctly as a basic xinput device. Happened regardless of launching the game through steam with online.exe and psobb.exe. I need to do a bit more testing to know for sure what the issue is (I'm perpetually in the steam beta and I don't know if this is a problem exclusive to psobb in steam), but I still wanted to put it out there.

Last edited:
I renamed my Steam shortcut to Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst but still don't see any configs in the community?

Also is there a way to just share a config directly? Cuz this hyperlink takes me nowhere - steam//controllerconfig/phantasy star online blue burst/2759813442

I renamed my Steam shortcut to Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst but still don't see any configs in the community?

Also is there a way to just share a config directly? Cuz this hyperlink takes me nowhere - steam//controllerconfig/phantasy star online blue burst/2759813442
  • Double check there are no spaces
  • Hit the "show other controller types button
  • Access the config link from inside the Steam Web Browser - usually there will be problems if you try to access it from an external browser

If your controller was scrolling uncontrollably:
- Use keyboard to navigate to Right Analog Forward/Backward and hit ENTER.
- Plug your controller back in. Wait for Steam to pop up a notice that it has detected it.
- Push your Right Analog Stick forwards. Hit ESC to save the change. The scrolling should cease. Now re-enter Pad Button Config.

Years of this nonsense fixed with this - you my friend are a legend.

Back