The Common Bank

Neirene

I wanted to share my little opinion and also suggestion regarding the goals of the project on this little post. From what i've seem and heard from all the people involved into the project so far, the goal for the Tethealla server project is to offer everyone the posibility to play PSOBB as it was intended by SEGA without any extras or custom stuff of some sort.

However I've noticed that there's still some custom stuff such as the common bank that i'm sure most people enjoy it, but I beleive it conflicts with the initial idea to offer the game just "as it is" to everyone. In the official servers we never had such a feature and while I understand it can be a pain in the neck to transfer your items back and forth between characters without it, I think it must stay that way to show everyone how PSOBB really works with it's pro and cons.

The same concept applies to other commands which starts with " /'s " and offers other kinds of functionality along with other stuff that i've seem that has been addded already to the game that doesnt exists on the official version.

I know I sound very mean but I love this game as much as many of you do and i've heard a lot of feedback from friends and people i've met in the game when they always complain because of the custom stuff like happened in the schthack servers. The effect is similar to a snowball one, we can add a little /color command to change our names colors today and tomorrow suddenly we have 30000 custom NPC's, dificulties, monsters and Items and continues with this trend...

You can leave those commands and special custom stuff/messages/traces as tools to help debug and test the game faster but they really shoulnt exist on the final game for the common player.

I'm very sorry for the long post but this is something that I wanted to share with all of you I would like to know your opinion regarding this.
Thank you for your time and keep up the good work as usual (├Æ├óÔòù├ö├¬├ç├Æ├óÔòù)├Æ├ó├ä

kida

As long as the extras are able to be deactivated by server admins I don't think it's a big issue.

Neirene

That would be ideal! so everyone have the posibility to adapt the server to their likes and needs! (├Æ├óÔòù├ö├¬├ç├Æ├óÔòù)

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
I will add an option in the ship.ini to enable or disable the Common Bank for the default binaries.

Thanks

Chuk

Wouldn't it be nicer if the common bank could be regulated by an NPC instead of a toggle command /bank ? For example add another NPC behind the counter in pioneer 1 & 2 that offers access to the common bank (outside of quests). I don't remember for sure but I think schthack had it implemented like that but don't quote me on that, never played on that server.

And make that NPC appearance an option you can toggle in the server configurations eventually.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Schthack had it and, yes, I'm sure it would be more nice, but adding another NPC to Pioneer 2 is definitely not on the important list right now. Working on other things. :p

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
Plus I believe soda mentioned this many moons ago. The 2nd bank lady wouldn't be there in quests. So we'll have to add the 2nd lady to every quest or just have it so there is no second lady in quests. So for the moment the command works just fine. We could however add a menu which pops up asking which bank to select before it appears. This would enable it every where so no need to edit a load of quests.

Aleron Ives

Having a menu open to ask which bank you want to access from the regular bank lady sounds like the best solution, as it doesn't require modifying dozens of quests.

Mylandra

What do you guys think of adding a team bank while you're at it? Gotta make those team points worth something lol

Aleron Ives

Aren't they already used to unlock the Dressing Room? I don't recall what other things Sega might have used them to do, but I recall that being one of the functions, and I thought it was active here. It would be quite nice if reaching certain point goals would unlock other things, too.

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
Well I added the team bank to Eden. But not sure I'd want to add it here.

Also we have so far:
Team Flag 2800pts
Dressing Room 3000pts
Team Member limit 20 1500pts
Team Member limit 40 4000pts
Team Member limit 70 9000pts
Team Member limit 100 18000pts
To the Center of the Disaster 3000pts
Commander Blade 8000pts

"To the Center of the Disaster" is POD I need to change it. (that'll teach me for using PSO-W). Team member limits don't require you to purchase 20, 40 and so on. You can just go straight to 100. This is how it was on sega. There is another team quest I need to add and the team master shield. There's some tweaking I need to do with the item descriptions also at some point.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think accessing the common bank via a menu with the same NPC is going to work unless we modify the quest files after all.

I got the menu working and being able to access both banks, but it only works via Gamepad. (Strange, but true.) Using it via the keyboard will keep confirming when you hit the down arrow instead of moving the menu selector.

The problem is, when you speak to that NPC, the client wait until it gets the bank packet because it knows it's coming.

When I sent the menu packet before the bank packet, the menu pops up, but cannot be navigated with the keyboard. If you leave the menu then the client gets in this weird state where your character is no longer visible and you're floating around Pioneer 2, you can control where you're floating. You will no longer be able to interact with any shops, though, but teleporters still work.

I tried a workaround by sending the bank packet, when you leave the menu, but still the key is stuck with confirming on the keyboard until you're done.

I even tried doing it in reverse by letting the bank access as normal, but popping the menu up after you leave the bank to change your bank preference for later, but it ends up in an infinite loop because the menu comes up in the same spot as the NPC and once you confirm your selection, you're interacting with the bank lady again.

I tried using the "show me" packet, to make the client visible when it was floating, but that didn't work. Tried the relocate packet too, just not sure if it's going to work as planned. :(

Aleron Ives

It's at least slightly possible that it's just a bug in BB and not necessarily a problem with your implementation, though. The Dragon trick in TTF doesn't work with keyboard controls in BB for some reason, either; only a controller works, so the game has some generic keyboard input bugs.

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
I've tested with edits to the client code to set action palette disabled when the bank menu packet is received by the client and that has fixed the problem with the KB not allowing you to select from the menu. So it is something we could fix.

The client appears to function as follows:
Bank accessed: client disables action palette and sends request for bank menu
Custom Bank Select menu sent and closed by client: enables action palette (due to menu close)
Bank Menu sent and received: action palette still enabled making it impossible to select from the menu.

Nikki

meh...
Wait...you need team points to unlock the damn dressing room? What kinda bullshit... I thought it was just 10,000 meseta. :| why such an absurd amount of TP.