Steam In-Home Streaming

Rik

Guildcard
Hello all,

New member here so apologies if what I'm posting about has been answered before- I've done a bit of a search and no luck so thought I'd reach out and see if anyone can help!

When gaming at home I do 99% of it through the joyous steam in-home streaming thingy, reason being my gaming PC is plugged into the TV and my POS work laptop can't handle anything other than the streaming client. I realise this isn't a steam game but the system is usually pretty good at latching onto programs and streaming them.

I should point out first that the game runs fine if booted up directly on the host- the launcher runs, can select a variety of resolutions and I get that wonderful nostalgic shiny menu screen appear in front of me. That's all gravy, but impossible to play using a handheld remote keyboard.

When attempting to launch through steam streaming, I can watch what happens on the host. The launcher appears (and steam successfully latches onto it) and I can interact etc on the client, but as soon as I try to launch the game, it crashes and fails to load. It does the whole "blank window appears for a couple seconds then vanishes" act. I've tried playing around with resolutions, compatibility, windowed/fullscreen settings etc but to no avail. I'm on winblows 10 (inb4 hate) but, as I said earlier, it seems to run fine when not trying to stream it through steam. What am I missing here? I can usually find ways to make it work with non-steam games like WoW and SWTOR but this has me stumped.

tl;dr (needed because I like the sound of my own voice): anyone got any experience of trying to run this through steam in-home streaming and, if so, what do?

Edit: Seems to have fixed itself bar the opening cutscene at character creation. I have no idea what I did. Maybe I didn't try every combination of resolutions/windowed/fullscreen modes? Who knows.

Last edited:
Steam is trying to use too much shit on your PC just use twitch

Steam is trying to use too much shit on your PC just use twitch

I'm not sure I understand- I thought twitch was just a method of streaming your game to others? I'm all for finding something that can do what steam does less intensively but I'm yet to see something that can do the same thing (i.e. run the game on one machine, "play" it on another). More than happy to be proven wrong though!

He misunderstands. I don't know any way around your problem, tho. I was streaming PSO to my laptop, but like you said, peripherals that weren't plugged in when the game was launched weren't recognized, and since you have to launch it on the home computer then stream it, there's no way to launch directly with your peripheral plugged in.

He misunderstands. I don't know any way around your problem, tho. I was streaming PSO to my laptop, but like you said, peripherals that weren't plugged in when the game was launched weren't recognized, and since you have to launch it on the home computer then stream it, there's no way to launch directly with your peripheral plugged in.
Thanks for the reply- like I say I seem to have fixed it somehow but I'm not entirely sure what I did. I've found in the past that when using things like game controllers they have to be plugged into the host, not the client (e.g. I play FFX with a 360 controller) but if it's just a keyboard and mouse then they're fine at the client end. I play PSO with the keyboard though so not hit any problems there. Trying every iteration of possibilities usually seems to yield some results...

I think my buddy from Japan got Nvidia SHIELD to work (Nvidia's version of Steam's in-home streaming). If you have that I can send him a message on skype to ask how he got it to work.

Back