Steam Deck Controller Template Now Available

Hugbot

Guildcard
Hello!

Preamble
Quick shout out to Ephinea and what it's doing. I'm incredibly thankful that I can still play Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst in 2022.
It's a very big deal to me, so thank you Ephinea for everything you do. Truly.

Additionally - apologies, but I have posted this in a couple areas on the board to help raise awareness for others who are having issues.
I want to help others play PSO with the Steam Deck. PSO is one of the big reasons that drove me to buy a Steam Deck, and I really want the Phantasy Star Online community to grow and thrive with the availability of Steam Decks as well.

Steam Deck Controller Template Link
I have made a Steam Deck Controller Configuration here
steam://controllerconfig/413080/2877109259

Copy and paste the above URL into your browser and it should load the template on your Steam Deck.

This assumes a default installation of Phantasy Star Online. If you've made changes to the in-game key bindings you will want to reset them to the default settings.
However, you will have to bind `auto-run` to the `q` key in order to have it work correctly with this template.

Steam Deck Controller Template Explanation
This started based off the Web Template provided by Steam, but I ended up modifying it to reflect several of the expected configurations for the PC/Xbox version.
See images below.
keyboard_controls.jpg
xbox_controls.jpg

The bindings I have set are as follows
Steam Deck KeyPSO SettingKeyboard Binding
Directional PadMenu NavigationLeft, Up, Right, Down Arrow Keys
Left JoystickPlayer MovementW, A, D, S
Left Joystick Click (L3)Auto-runQ
Left Menu ButtonChat text inputSpacebar
Right JoystickTechnique Shortcuts 1-4Number Keys 1-4
Right Joystick Click (R3)Technique Shortcut 5Number Key 5
Right Menu ButtonOpen/Close In-Game MenuHome Key
X ButtonAction Palette LeftLeft Arrow
A ButtonAction Palette Middle/SelectReturn Key
B ButtonAction Palette Right/CancelBackspace Key
Y ButtonSymbol ChatEnd Key
L1Mouse Right-ClickMouse Right-Click
L2Center CameraUp Arrow Key
L4CancelEscape Key
L5Menu/Character Info ChangeTab Key
R1Mouse Left-ClickMouse Left-Click
R2Palette SwapRight Control Key
R4N/AShow On-Screen Keyboard
R5Middle Mouse ClickMiddle Mouse Click
Left Touch-padMouse Scroll (Vertical)Mouse Scroll (Vertical)
Left Touch-pad ClickN/AN/A
Right Touch-padMouse MovementMouse Movement
Right Touch-pad ClickLeft Mouse ClickLeft Mouse Click

Wrap-Up
The Steam Deck is a cool device, but it requires a lot of tinkering. For those of you that have managed to get your Steam Deck running - I hope that this template helps you get to at the very least a starting point for you to enjoy this amazing game.

Please share this with everyone and let them know Hugbot sends it with love.

See you hunters on Pioneer 2. <3

Last edited:
Hi there,

Could you please let us know where to paste the URL? We are not sure which browser it needs to be pasted in.

Thanks, we are noobs :(

Hahaha, we're all noobs. I'm a noob trying to share this.

@Shane96 - For me, I went into desktop mode on my Steam Deck. Copied the URL and pasted it into my Firefox browser url and that seemed to initiate the configuration of the settings.

I play using Lutris in Desktop mode, and some people have said that's not the way they play. For some reason there is a discrepancy between Desktop mode and Steam Deck mode.

In desktop mode the above URL should be used in a browser like Firefox.
In steam deck mode I believe there are other users who have made their own configurations that I can't vouch for.

Hahaha, we're all noobs. I'm a noob trying to share this.

@Shane96 - For me, I went into desktop mode on my Steam Deck. Copied the URL and pasted it into my Firefox browser url and that seemed to initiate the configuration of the settings.

I play using Lutris in Desktop mode, and some people have said that's not the way they play. For some reason there is a discrepancy between Desktop mode and Steam Deck mode.

In desktop mode the above URL should be used in a browser like Firefox.
In steam deck mode I believe there are other users who have made their own configurations that I can't vouch for.
Haha thanks, I really appreciate the reply. For some reason, pasting the URL in Firefox just brings up a search result with this forum.

Do you know if it's possible for me to do the bindings myself manually?

Thanks.

@Shane96 You can absolutely do the bindings yourself!

Look at the table above in the first comment and just follow those mappings. If you do it correctly you'll be in the same set-up as the steam url above.
Just remember that what's happening is you're binding the Steam Deck's inputs to keyboard keys that PSO uses as the defaults for its run-time. So your bindings won't be something to directly change in PSO, but rather Steam.

Go for it!

Haha thanks, I really appreciate the reply. For some reason, pasting the URL in Firefox just brings up a search result with this forum.

Do you know if it's possible for me to do the bindings myself manually?

Thanks.
I had the same problem so here's the solution that worked for me:

Open a terminal (Konsole) in Desktop mode, then type this and press Enter:
Code:
steam steam://controllerconfig/413080/2877109259

Don't forget to click on Done once you are in the new window as it's only a preview of the key bindings.

Enjoy!

Back