Sonic Mania

Ryan

✨ Lucky Lucky
Staff member
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet...

>Stardust Speedway

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sonic Mania's being developed by Christian Whitehead and Headcannon (Taxman & Stealth, for those unfamiliar, who also made Sonic 1, 2, and CD's modern ports) and the music's by Tee Lopes of Sonic 2 HD fame. From all the revealed gameplay so far, it looks... well, perfect.

What do you guys think? It's already available for pre-order on Steam! (and elsewhere, probably, but I don't own any home consoles past the Wii...)

From all the revealed gameplay so far, it looks... well, perfect.

One thing I always like to note when there's a new Sonic game is that the perfect Sonic game just can't exist anymore. The series is 26 years old and the fanbase has grown at various points for various reasons. What one person wants from a Sonic game can be completely different from what the next person wants. You simply can't cater to that type of crowd. What's perfect for one part of the fanbase might be bad for the rest.

That being said, this looks like a nice return to the early/mid-90s Sonic that I personally fell in love with. I hope it lives up to the hope of the trailer. The rest of the fans will just have to deal with it.

[EDIT] I personally never pre-order things and don't recommend anyone else to, no matter how great the game looks to be. There's no reason to do so.

I owned Sonic 2 on Mega Drive. It was ok, but I found it pretty frustrating - as with most older platform games. I never enjoyed the lack of any true save system on the older gen consoles and trying to play through those games in 1 go was frustrating. Sure it's all we had back then, so we made do - but it doesn't make them classic titles. We simply didn't know or have better.

I also owned Sonic Adventure on DC. I loathed the voice acting, but a relatively open map with exploration and a sense of fluid motion (although hampered by awkward controls and camera angles) made the game rather fun. Outside of that I have no real love for sonic or the franchise or the platform genre.

What frustrates me most is sequels of inferior quality. A game that stands out is most likely to have further titles made and it's usually a bad idea. Sonic is 26 years old. It's pretty pathetic they keep making new games. Just let Dr Robotnik have his day and smite that cocky little blue hedgehog.

Ed

Older thread but still on the front page so w/e.
I have this preordered for the nice bonuses from Amazon.

I doubt I'll regret it considering the team working on it has been decided to the old school Sonics for many, many years, and even the composer seems a perfect fit.

Being mainly a retro arcade and 16-bit lover, this is really like a dream. I don't have any great expectations regardless of what I've said, but everything put out about it so far looks great.

The 3D games past the Dreamcast era, on the other hand ...

Back