Some mag discussion

Mostly concerning 4th evolution mags introduced in Episode 2 for starters...
And it seems mags casting reverser was disabled in Blue Burst.

We have three types of those:
The several that cast shifta/deband at PB full and entering a boss room (And they have a positive bonus in both those likelyhoods of casting). And at 1/10 life they may cast resta. Unfortunately this mag buff casting is definitely weaker than the M&Y twins photon blast and I think it's also weaker than what players can cast, unless they're a droid or humar lacking buff techs.

Then there's Sato the cat and Nidra the scorpion that may cast invincibility in all three of those situations. Sato is more popular but Nidra is actually better. Sato has a negative bonus to casting invinci at 100% PB full where I think chances are actually better with a low syncro while that conflicts with casting in the other situations where it has no bonus. Meanwhile Nidra simply has a positive bonus to casting when entering a boss room. Also Bana is a simple 3rd evolution mag that casts invinci in these three cases, but has negative bonuses to both PB full and boss room. Check Spuz's Basic Mag information guide for info on rare mags with 3/4 invinci. Soniti is one but Nidra may be better having that one bonus. Relevant only in older PSO's Soniti has a negative bonus to reverser. Ribhava, Soma, Durga, Nandin, & Asparas are other 3rd evolution with seemingly better chances than Bana but lesser than Nidra. However, I don't know if they have any positive or negative bonuses to any situations.

Finally there's the oddball Bhima which seems very underrated. It has a positve bonus to casting buffs at PB full, a negative bonus to casting invinci entering a boss room, and no bonus to casting invinci at 10% Life.

I personally think Bhima is best for droids and Humars, while Nidra is best for everyone else. Of course there's actual rare mags that are better though. Of course there's always preference of what mag you just want regardless of its castings. And then I almost always make my mags with the blasts Estlla, M&Y twins, Pilla. My 15/0/0/185 mag has Golla instead of Pilla since Pilla was not possible with those stats. Is Golla potentionally the most single damaging blast though it only hits one target? Meanwhile Estlla seems similar while hitting multiple targets, though probably not for as much damage on a single one.

So with Estlla/M&Y/Pilla on a Bhima, I think droids and Humars will get plenty of buffs with the option of using the M&Y super buff. You at least have some chance of invinci entering a boss room. And invinci at 1/10 life instead of resta (though maybe less likely?) may really come in handy and saves droids some good mate usage during a long boss fight.

For anyone that can cast buffs, Nidra or rare mags will give invinci most often and you can cast your own better buffs or use the M&Y super buff blast.

I have no idea why someone would make a Mind Rati or any of the buffing mags with a lot of mind for forces, other than aethetics. Except I think I read a mind mag actually servers a purpose for a droid with a Heaven Punisher and boosts its special regardless of the droids themselves having 0 MST/TP.

Last edited:
Invincibility is about the most useful and important trigger. The ones that have it on all 3 slots are Sato, Nidra, Soniti and Tellusis (and Bana?). Tellusis is the best in terms of this, since it has 55% chance to activate, and no drawbacks on BB. Soniti is about the same, but just 50% chance to activate. Nidra is suprising according to the PMT chart you posted, it gets a boost in entering boss room. Functionally Sato is the worst out of the four from the chart. Bana is terrible even without taking the boosts into consideration, because of the lower activation chance.

There's a strategy dubbed "trigger-play", which is to control HP with mates/hp draining weapons and use fix damage from certain mobs to trigger 1/10 HP invincibility. This invincibility trigger also has synergy with Dark Flow. This makes 1/10 HP trigger the most important, followed by boss room trigger. You usually won't get a lot of benefit from PB guage fill up trigger.

The classical boss invincibility mag is Agastya, since someone supposedly performed test with it back on Schthack(?), and it became the TA mag of choice for quests involving certain bosses. But if Nidra's boost is the same, there might not be a point to pick Agastya over it. If someone could confirm how those boosts work, it would be incredible. In actuality no one (or at least, very few people) really know about the boosts here, they were all anecdotal.

S/D from mag is level 6 IIRC. Which is kind of nice for solo, but for hunters, they have access to S-Red's Blade which gives level 3 S/D. From how S-Red's works on Droid hunters, I doubt the level 6 S/D is going to be useful enough to worth trying to trigger them, although it does provide a stronger boost, which may or may not allow one to kill certain enemies quicker. The time S/D lasts is either 30 seconds + 10 more per level or 20 seconds + 10 more per level, so you can see how long they last. In addition, class without access to S/D can try to do a PB-build with multiple PB/Increase and God Shield Kouryu. This strategy involves getting hit a lot in the first room to start off the first twins, and while twins last, use the buffed damage to quickly build up another twins by the time it runs out.

PB for damage is not really used in Ultimate, due to ELT on enemies and weapons being faster without having to wait for PB to finish. The only useful scenario I know of is to chain an Estlla against Ep4 bosses, to destroy all its crystals fast. Regardless, IIRC Golla is the strongest single target, Pilla is the strongest AoE, followed by Estlla, followed by Farlla. An oddity is IIRC Golla, Pilla, Farlla are boosted by character ATP, while Estlla is boosted by character EVP. Someone can confirm?

IIRC mag Mind does not boost android's Divine Punishment.

Last but not least, a lot of people just go for aesthetics than function when it comes to mag choice. Like using Sato instead of Tellusis for example.

Thanks. Lots of a good info. Even on the Very Hard it's apparent how less useful the damage photon blasts become later on. My well aimed Estlla hit two Chaos Bringers for a whopping ZERO each and I was disappointed at Pilla only doing in the 500's to some things when you can quickly hit for that.

We could really use qwerty to disassemble the client to figure out what all of the Mag flags do, because to date nobody knows the extent of their functionality.

Back