Soft Lock at Character Select

Eyeapple

I'm getting softlocked at the character select screen. When I'm at the character select screen, I can navigate it just fine, but once I confirm the character I've chosen, the game makes a confirmation sound but doesn't do anything and I can't do anything but close the game from that point.

I should also mention that I've already tried restarting the game, reinstalling the game, and creating a new character. None of those worked.

Uninstall again, but this time wipe the Sonic Team data from your registry under HKEY Current user>software>sonic team. Right click and delete it. Make sure before installing at all that your ephinea folder is whitelisted in any and all AV software you have so the install doesn't get damaged.

I just tried that, it didn't seem to work. I deleted Sonic Team from the registry, whitelisted the Ephinea folder and everything.

It's possible you got a bad download, or the download destination folder for the installer got hit by AV before you could WL anything. Not sure, there's a lot of variables here for what coulda gone wrong. Also, are you on wireless internet? That's a lot of peoples hang up sometimes.

I'm using an ethernet cable, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll try getting another download and see if that helps.

Also equally if not more rare, sometimes the account is the issue. If you still have a persisting issue, try making another account and see if it still happens.

Not too sure what else it could be at this point other than hardware inconsistencies, drivers not being able to render an effect or model or something. You'll have to tinker with it. :x

Do you have any other systems in your home/office/whatever to see if those systems are having problems getting past the character select screen? This would help narrow down if it may be a network problem.

It could be DEP. Although that usually causes the app to crash. On some systems DEP can prevent PSOBB.exe from accessing its assets. So adding PSOBB.exe to the exceptions resolves it.

Another thing that could cause it is installing psobb into your program files folder. If PSOBB.exe isn't run as administrator while in that folder you'll experience the same issues that DEP causes. So if its in program files move it some where else that isn't protected. the default is %homepath%\ephineapso You wont have any issues if its installed there (unless you're trying to run it from another user accounts %homepath%)

I went and tried adding PSOBB.exe to the DEP exceptions. It didn't do anything. I also uninstalled the game and reinstalled it in another location to make sure that wasn't the problem, and I got the same result. Unfortunately, I don't have another device that can run PSO, so I can't tell if the network is causing this problem or not.

Are you on a portable device (Like a laptop) or a Desktop? You may opt to connect to a different network to see if it will allow you to get passed the character select if you are using a laptop.

Hmmm. I tried playing the game today, and it worked. The issue seems to have resolved itself, but that was still weird.

Back