Setting Override IP to a domain instead of IP address?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by McDonaldsWifi, Nov 19, 2019.

1. McDonaldsWifi

McDonaldsWifi Member

Hey guys,

I have a domain that updates via DDNS in order to keep up with my dynamic IP from my ISP.

I'm trying to host a Tethealla server for me and some buds but I'm trying to avoid having to update the tethealla.ini every day. I've written a script that will do it for me but I'd rather not rely on that if I didn't have to.

I've tried to type my domain instead of the IP in the tethealla.ini file but it just ignores it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Soly

Soly Member

The main problem is that the server sends the redirects as IPs, so if your IP changed you'd be SOL'd anyway, until you restart the server...
    So you have those 2 problems, getting IPs from domains, which you'd have to code in the servers and dynamically updating them (since you wouldn't really want to restart the server and kick people)

3. McDonaldsWifi

McDonaldsWifi Member

Ahh I see... I'm sure this was never designed to actually host externally from home anyways lol

I checked out the source and adding in the functionality to get the domain IP wouldn't be an issue... but somehow figuring out how to make it dynamically update is a totally different beast. Honestly my WAN lease expires every 24 hours but my IP doesn't change that often.. you just never know when it will.

Being as its only me and a few friends I might just set up an OpenVPN server or something and call it a day.

Thanks for the response, I've noticed you're the one who answers most of the questions so thanks for the support!

4. Soly

Soly Member

Setting up a vpn might be easier yeah...

dynamically updating the redirect IP shouldn't be that hard... you'd just have it run every now in then in the main loop and update the serverIP, which is what is sent to clients to connect to.

5. Seterwind

Seterwind Member

I'm having a similar issue, however I figured out the server side of things (Man editing that was a pain) my issue is the client actually.

I hex edited the client to have my domain instead of IP address and it doesn't work. It does work if I put in the IP address, so I know my server code works, but I am having no luck with the psobb.exe being edited to accept my domain.

Any thoughts?

6. Soly

Soly Member

The client should accept a domain just fine, iirc, as long as it's not longer than the string that holds it (which you can clearly tell by the repeating domain/ip)