Server backup lag spikes.

Ade

;3
Hi Team,

Thanks Soda and Tofu for increasing the number of backups per day. However, it is worth noting that the hourly backups cause a huge lag spike that usually lasts about 2 minutes. I like the idea of doing more backups per day, but having one every single hour is pretty disruptive to gameplay (unless there was a way for the server to conduct the backup without causing the lag spike).

Would perhaps 4 per day be a better alternate? One every six hours?

I didn't post this in the Suggestions forum because it doesn't really have anything to do with in-game PSO.

Thanks Team!

The backups should just be done within a slave database server (to not affect the game), pretty sure I was discussing this with Tofuman before, not sure if he ended up implementing it in Ephinea tho.

Also, I don't know if using InnoDB as the table's back-end would help (since it uses row-level locking instead of table-level locking)

The backups should just be done within a slave database server (to not affect the game)
That costs $$$. Have to have a duplicate server with the same configuration to be able to keep up with the transactions as they're being written.

Also, we're already using InnoDB.

We will look into the backup stuff further, for now I reduced it to every 6 hours.

That costs $$$. Have to have a duplicate server with the same configuration to be able to keep up with the transactions as they're being written.

Also, we're already using InnoDB.

We will look into the backup stuff further, for now I reduced it to every 6 hours.

Hi Soda. Thanks for looking at this. I think every 6 hours is very, very good. Probably better than any other server. I wouldn't feel pressed to do anything else with that. Thanks for always being so receptive to feedback. It continually amazes me how easy everyone is to work with here. :)

Back