Section ID's, Drop Tables, and Data

redria7

CakeWatch
As I'm trying to figure out what section ID I want for each of my characters (planning ahead is important!) I found anime's guide on section ID's, which is useful but not quite what I wanted.

So I copied the Ultimate drop tables into excel, flattened the data, added some type data from the wiki, copied and filtered out duplicate entries with the worst rates, moved everything into google docs, and pivoted... Yeah, okay, you probably don't care about that part.

Anyway, here is a link, Ultimate current as of 2020-07-07 and other difficulties current as of 2020-07-24:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-3Q821rFAKlRNDYTdskmFADuQmEMBfrLlX5HuGut25A/edit?usp=sharing

You'll note that there are 3 red tabs and 3 grey tabs. The grey tabs are underlying data - don't worry about those unless you want to dig deeper. There are also some other colors for details I added later!

The 3 red tabs show 3 different things:

The first, "Item Type By ID", shows how many unique items of each item type are found by each section ID in ultimate, regardless of drop rate. For example, I am raising a Hunewearl and I enjoy using double sabers with Huneys, so I look at the double saber row and Skyly drops the best variety at 9. This isn't to say that Skyly is still best (that is the next tab) but it certainly looks like a solid pick for me!

The second tab, "Max Rate Items By ID", shows a list of all 329 unique drops from Ultimate, grouped by item type, with the best available drop rate for that item for each section ID. The key thing to note here is that I am using my modified 'actual rate' column, which means I've multiplied the odds of seeing a rare enemy (1/512 for most, 1/10 for Kondrieu) by the drop rate for the rare enemy to get a modified 'actual' rate. For example, even though Skyly should find a Red Saber 50% of the time from Hildetorr, Hildetorr only shows up 1/512 Hildelts. Multiplied together, I expect my 'actual' rate to be 1/1024 Hildelts, which is much more meaningful when identifying where to hunt drops (with the exception of piping I guess).

The third tab, "ID Uniques", shows the best actual rate for each item that can only be found by one section ID. This helps give an idea of items you will miss out on by not having a character (or friend) with this ID.

To use this sheet, you can browse the pivot tables I've made, or you can save a copy to do more in depth looks. Something special pivot tables offer if you do save a copy - if you double click and value in the table, it will generate a new tab with all of the source data rows that match. For example, I can double click the "9" in the Skyly-Double Saber cell and I will generate a new tab showing all of the double sabers that Skyly can get, their drop rates, where they drop, etc. Quite handy!

---

Interesting things to add would be:
  • More item data (what classes can use each item, end item types for combination items and enemy parts, other?)
    • This is straightforward to implement, but my strategy for the existing item data was to manually type out values after looking them up in the wiki. I would either need group assistance or a raw data download to make this feasible.
    • An additional layer would be a rating system to indicate if an item is useful, valuable, etc. This would need to be crowd generated data. If anyone has an interest in this I'll look at setting up a way to collect data.
  • Other difficulty levels (I would need to add a column to the source data indicating the difficulty level)
    • Again, very simple to implement, but it would require formatting and flattening the other difficulty tables, along with
  • An additional rate modifier based on time to kill (Dark Falz would have a larger modifier than a Rappy, since it takes far more time to reach and kill Dark Falz than to reach and kill a rappy)
    • This would be another feedback generated value, as we would have to identify our criteria (multiply by optimal kills/minute maybe?) and generate data for each enemy, but it would continue to improve on real drop rate understanding. Using kills/minute would give us the drop rate in average minutes to drop, which is much more valuable than just a 1/x rate!
If anyone has any ideas or wants to help with any of these additions, let me know. There is a lot of room for improvement in our tools for understanding drop rates, and a lot of information that seems to be just tribal knowledge.

Also let me know if you see anything that looks wrong. I made this all today so my error checking is somewhere between "nada" and "didn't happen".

---

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Interestingly, Yellowboze boasts the highest number of uniques, along with being the only ID that finds drops for every item type. I honestly expected that from Redria. I don't regret my choice of online handle from 10 years ago as "yellowboze7" sounds silly, but I feel let down by my namesake.

Boze has always been the all rounder ID, the rares were just harder to find/ not an efficient hunt. Speaking of gc and dc here. I think it would be boss if they kept that spirit going here.

Boze has always been the all rounder ID, the rares were just harder to find/ not an efficient hunt. Speaking of gc and dc here. I think it would be boss if they kept that spirit going here.
Honestly Yellowboze doesn't seem that bad rate-wise. The best rate for its drops are usually around average for the other section ID's that get that drop.

Someday I want to add that layer of desirability to this so I can see what each ID gets for the actual items people care about. I should be able to add a tab now though that shows items that are only dropped by a single class, which would be pretty neat too.

Back