Samuel Holland Institute of Technology

Minsc

Guildcard
Just a little humour for your day. :)

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/opinion/letter-to-the-editor/holland-college-no-shit-111675/

Holland College, no S.H.I.T.

None

I wish to clarify the sequence, which resulted in P.E.I.’s new College of Applied Arts and Technology being named in commemoration of Capt. Samuel Holland back in 1969.

Your correspondent Doug Boylan is (as usual) scrupulously correct in recalling that the college planning committee had the privilege of naming the college and advertised for suggestions of suitable names. Many suggestions were submitted to the committee and an interesting debate ensued.

My committee colleague, professor Glen Palmer, was also accurate in identifying my role in championing the Holland name within the committee. I believe it was my wicked mind which alerted the committee that the name Samuel Holland Institute of Technology, when reduced to initials on the back of sport jerseys, would cause quite a stir — hence the simple and elegant name, Holland College.

I believe the college has achieved many of the dreams and goals vested in it and embodied in the sterling example of Capt. Samuel Holland’s career.

Fred Hyndman

Member, College

Planning Committee

----------

:)

Back