[Resolved] ntdll exception c0000409 @ psobb.exe 00074e0d

fox

Edit: Resolved, please see this reply below. Thanks!

Hello!

Today I've been hitting a crash in ntdll.dll when trying to launch PSO (either via the launcher or even directly). I suspect this is somehow specific to my setup, but I figured I'd give this a shot anyway, since no PSO is a bummer.

Other than today, I've had no issues since building this PC 2 years ago (some windowed-mode stuttering framerate aside, but I think that's an AMD driver issue, starting with their ReLive drivers late 2016).
CPU: Intel i5-6600k
GPU: AMD RX480 8GB
Mem: 16GB something
HDD: Yes

Unfortunately, it's been a a few weeks since I last played, so I'm not sure what exactly has gone wrong. I did at least rule out GPU driver updates by rolling all the way back to February using AMD's Clean Uninstall option. My next guess might be recent security updates, since the issue seems to be ntdll complaining about a buffer overflow.

It's worth noting I normally run the game under dgVoodoo 2.54 to give the game a D3D11 context, which solves it crashing when UAC pops up (and seems to help that windowed-mode stuttering I get too). Unfortunately, removing that doesn't help.

I also added folder-wide exceptions to Avira (which normally doesn't care about Ephinea anyway, because it knows what's up), and even tried the DEP-exception trick (even though that's normally system-only anyway?), but unfortunately to no avail. :(

Interestingly, it actually boots up fine when debugged under IDA (even though Ephinea.dll complains).

I've attached event viewer reports (also pasted below for convenience), as well as the appcrash Report.wer (as a .txt). Let me know if there's anything else I can provide that might help.

Thanks!

Code:
EventID 1000
Faulting application name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24260, time stamp: 0x5b946ce2
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00074e0d
Faulting process id: 0xde4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4602a72595cc9
Faulting application path: D:\Games\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: b1d1dda9-cc1d-11e8-ac2d-d05099a2de3f
Code:
EventID 1001
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BEX
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: psobb.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 00000000
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.24260
P6: 5b946ce2
P7: 00074e0d
P8: c0000409
P9: 00000000
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_psobb.exe_6c2632c13a39d4c1b7413d6feffca01977f1ef_0f39902d

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: b1d1dda9-cc1d-11e8-ac2d-d05099a2de3f
Report Status: 0

Attachments

• Psobb-1000.txt
    457 bytes · Views: 4
  • Psobb-1001.txt
    530 bytes · Views: 3
  • Report.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have gotten this error more than a few times, although not with PSO (always with a game)

Things that have fixed it:
- Enabling and letting Windows 7 manage page files
- Nuking the installation, including registry entries, and then re-installing
- Disabling a monitor (probably not going to run into this unless you run exceed 8192 height or 8192 width resolution)

I have not run into it, but:
- Unstable Overclock (memory corruption -> buffer overflow error)
Which might also happen if something is up with the power in general.

YMMV. good luck cause its frustrating

Hey CTB - thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, it looks like it's related to Ephinea's recent ephinea.dll update. If I restore a previous version of ephinea.dll, the game boots fine.

However, I imagine more people would be having trouble if this was the only issue. I'll try a full nuke/reinstall of the game and post back - maybe something got borked somewhere along the line.

(I'm also using automatic pagefile management and only run a single 1920x1080@60Hz monitor. Pretty bland setup honestly! :p)

I got it! This was totally my bad.

Reinstalling worked like a charm... and made me remember that I actually use two modifications to the game (which I've used so long I kinda just forgot about them). One of these is the Black Glass HUD, which still works fine. The other, however, was a small modification I made to common.pac to mute the charge/status sounds, which is interestingly what was crashing the newer ephinea.dll.

Clearly I did something wrong when I originally made those edits to common.pac, as trying to extract the "muted" charge/status sounds (60, 61, 174-177) produced garbage WAV files. I instead redid those edits by attenuating the original sounds -10dB in Audacity, which works great and feels nicer anyway. I've attached the newly modified common.pac in case this sounds appealing to anyone reading this (be sure to backup your old one first!).

Anywho, I'll go ahead and mark this resolved. Thanks!

Edit: D'oh, this all makes much more sense now: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/pac-files.10819/

Attachments

• Ephinea Quiet Charge & Status Sounds.7z
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back