ReShade for PSOBB (Optional Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination)

As far as I know yes im using the latest but just to make sure I will try without using the mods on clean install and test I check back once I did it.

na new clean install did same error. I give up I think, Thanks anyway for trying ^^ I will try to see if others have had better luck maybe I can copy their files and try see if it works.

I'll make a clean install of the game and install using the files I sent you only and see what happens for me. Will update the post soon.

Okay yeah it works perfectly for me with a fresh game install and the exact files I gave you. Was just drag and drop. Couple things then:

Are you forcing MSAA or SSAA through your graphics driver? That can cause reshade to crash.

Could your antivirus be causing problems? Maybe try whitelisting the PSO install folder?

Last edited:
Used reshade before so im abit familier with it and modding I done alot of times in other games.. but tried this and when I try to start the game, I get Psbb.exe error could not start program (0xc0000005) pinpointed it to be the d3d8.dll file making the game crash on startup

update. using both the d3d8 or d3d9.dll's together and the game crash . taking away 1 or the other the game starts. now I understand taking away 1 of them just disabled the mod itself but maybe that info could be important for someone that understands this better.
Yoo, I'm having this same issue.

edit: resolved, see below

Last edited:
Yoo, I'm having this same issue.

I was super stoked when I found this thread, as it looks lightyears better than your standard reshade setup, but it doesn't work and I get the above error.

What I did:
- Reset nvidia control panel to defaults and removed profile for PSO, saved.
- Uninstalled PSO, made sure everything in the folder was deleted and then reinstalled
- Installed Reshade, selected psobb.exe, selected directx9, downloaded all shaders
- Dragged contents of ReShade_GI_Beta_0.9.0.2.zip (Textures and Shaders folder) into EphineaPSO\reshade-shaders\
- Dragged contents of ReShade-for-PSOBB-GI-9.0.2.zip into EphineaPSO\reshade-shaders\, said yes to overwrite
- Launch game, error occurs.

Windows 10 1909, no third-party AV installed, game folder whitelisted in Defender and DEP set to essential Windows programs and services only.

Help?
Huh, I'm really at a loss. Well, standard steps first I guess. I suppose the first step is to find out if the game can run with *just* the d3d8.dll activated. You can do this by simply renaming the d3d9.dll to something else. If that crashes the game, I guess try (re)installing the directx redist:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35. I'd be shocked if this fixed it on a Windows 10 machine, but it's the next logical step if d3d8.dll crashes the game.

Reshade also requires .NET Framework 4.5 or higher. If you haven't used reshade in a long time, it's possible it didn't have this requirement in older versions. Wouldn't hurt to try (re)installing that too.
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net48-web-installer

If neither of these work, I'd be willing to work with either of you in discord or w/e to get to the bottom of it, should you care enough to solve the problem.

As far as I know yes im using the latest but just to make sure I will try without using the mods on clean install and test I check back once I did it.

na new clean install did same error. I give up I think, Thanks anyway for trying ^^ I will try to see if others have had better luck maybe I can copy their files and try see if it works.
Alright so I worked with the other dude and we found out that compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2 breaks it. Is that something you have set? If so, try disabling it.

@ZabaZu I cannot find the shader qUINT_rtgi.fx anywhere in the installer list or in your initial post link.
You posted this image to help get us started but I can't find that option.
https://abload.de/img/current-settingsdtj8r.png
RTGI is the paid for shader I mention in the post. You have to back his patreon, $5 tier. Alternatively there's a preset that makes use of MXAO which is free and still very good, just won't get indirect lighting.

Btw, that's a screenshot of a pretty old version of rtgi settings, it doesn't apply to the current version.

Just posted an update for the preset. Please let me know if there are any issues, either on here or by contacting me on discord (username in the OP).

Back