Regarding this forum

Fudgenugget

If indeed this forum is going to take advantage of the fact that, in the Tethealla project, it is home to one of the best things the PSOBB community has going for it, and if it is to serve as a robust nexus of PSOBB development then I have a couple of small suggestions for the forum to those ends.

Contributors should be empowered. As Soly demonstrated with his tool thread, I think there is a need for thread creators at least to be able to edit their posts as they update their contributions to this project. Further, I think it would be a good move to allow certain PSO-specific filetypes as attachments such as QST, PRS, PRC to name a few. That, for example, Soly's tool didn't have a clear place to go seems a little odd as I would warrant this project has more need of his sort of efforts than, say, and no offense to anyone, exposure for near identical implementations of vanilla Teth servers.

It strikes me that allowing those willing to contribute to have their work hosted and based here, and to give them the tools to manage their contributions well is a far preferable situation to not allowing them to do so. Far better to encourage and facilitate people using this site for these things than to force fragmentation.

Xenon

Ouch, but +1 to adding a sub-forum or something for people to share what they've built for PSO.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
The way your post is worded makes it seem like it was our intention to purposefully limit people from being able to contribute tools and other things to this forum. I can assure you, that was not the case.

When I set up the forum, the only thing in my head was just putting up a generic forum to host the software and updates to it, really. I didn't think much past that point.

Certainly, the forum can grow and evolve over time, but, yes, it takes suggestions and ideas from both the users and the other administrators.

I do thank you for your suggestions on things we can add to make this place a better hub for the PSO community and will make some changes to the forum when I get home. (Currently at a diner about an hour away from my home eating breakfast.)

Mylandra

To be fair, this website was initially meant for Tethealla project. PSO never had a dev community last I remember. Even years ago, tools and source codes were never shared by the community and this hasn't really changed much 15 years later. This server is one of the few worthwhile things that people ever had access to build over.

Most PSO servers have their own forums with a dev section, however I believe this is the wrong way to go. People will just post features that a server may not even implement in the end which only creates false hype/encourages close source and unavailable content to others. I've seen people trying to help with pso dev before, but most gave up because there was nowhere to go or to start except to make their own community.

Lets be honest here, what pso really needs is a bit of spotlight so that new players come over and not only veteran players, however for more players to play this game, new servers have to open up and make their own Ôö¼┬¢ advertisement Ôö¼Ôòù of the sort outside of the pso communities. What this means is, working on Tethealla and server management tools is the most crucial part so that people can handle their own servers without the need of a developer in the first place. This forum could perhaps serve as more than just the server, because like I said, Tethealla is the reason there is a need for dev in the first place, so it would make sense people come over here for that sort of content.

Fudgenugget

Oh dear!

My impromptu speech at the top there was supposed to be rousing, not a biting assault. Knowing how I felt when I wrote it - positive and proactive - I can't quite see it in as negative a light as it seems to have been taken. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend, only to be convincing!

Fudgenugget

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at with your post, Mylandra, but if I may use what initially galvanized me into creating this thread in the first place to help illustrate where I'm coming from:

The Tethealla project was the first exposure I had to a fairly comprehensive collection of PSOBB's quests. Alongside a functional server, content for the game is fairly high up on the list of important things, and the 'Tethealla (end user) experience' is formed at least in part by the content it has to offer.

In hindsight, not sure how suitable "nexus of development" as a phrase was but if someone were to supply missing official quests, for example, or translations of content in other languages, I think the Tethealla boards would make a very good home for them!

Better for them to be here and obviously accessible to all than lost to the sands of time elsewhere. My suggestion in the first post was just to encourage people to let them do such a thing by giving them threads they can update and the ability to upload suitable files here. Fairly small forum features that would probably make quite a bit of difference.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
You know, with text, it's hard to convey emotions sometimes. I apologize if I misread your own emotion in your post.

As for why I misread it, well, a couple of examples... The line "Contributors should be empowered" sounded more like a demand than a suggestion. Although the word "need" wasn't used, most people would have said something like "I think it would be a good idea if contributors could be empowered."

Another example is when you said that "Soly's tool didn't have a clear place to go" and that it "seems a little odd" to you, made me think that I did something wrong. Let's not forget being told we're "forcing" fragmentation too.

But, like I said, I never really expected this place to be a full on development of all things PSO related. Just simply a home for the server software. That being said, it would be pretty clear why Soly's tool never had a pre-defined place here... yet.

Now that I'm home, I'm going to maybe make some forums for tools, quests, and other PSO development stuff. Also will allow attachments of QST, PRS, PRC, and if you have any other types, I can allow those too. Will also create a new user group called "PSO Developers" or "Tool Developers" (haven't decided yet), which when a user is added to that group, is allowed to edit their first posts past the normal amount of time allowed.

Mylandra

Ok, what I mean is that most new servers can't even do basic administrative tasks on the server because there are no tools/commands/functions to do so. What this means is that the ones running their server do not even have control at all over the server and struggle to manage the little they can.

Content such as missing quests is not necessarily important because people don't care about them, they mostly just roll ttf or rt all day long and never play any other quest unless it allows the player a better chance at a specific item drop. If you've played a bit on the servers before, you know what I mean. Fact is, people only care about powerleveling and uber items. Once you hit max level with max gear, there is little to nothing to do except maybe restart over, so it's like playing a game 10 times faster than you're supposed to, then quitting because there is nothing left to do. In other mmorpgs, the only thing that makes people keep playing is the pvp content. On PSO, the pvp content isn't exactly interesting. Maybe someone has some cool idea on how to entertain max level players.

As for languages, sure if you have a server running a different language and you translate them, they could be added to the Tethealla package. If you mean quests, I've never seen anyone read the text in those, they just skip it altogether lol There's a whole bunch of pso servers out there using different languages already : english, russian, japanese, chinese, french, spanish, portuguese, etc. I do not think this is an issue with this forum, but the pso community itself. It's not gonna change the fact these servers made their own translations and are gonna keep it to themselves because they want Ôö¼┬¢ exclusivity Ôö¼Ôòù over this content. Now, that's assuming you aren't speaking of using a quest ripper tool to steal all of their translated quests/custom quests/etc. Either way, I'm guessing some of them might be willing to give the files out if you just get on their forums and ask nicely.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to get feedback from users/server admins and make some sort of priority list of wanted things and what's being worked on. I believe everyone has a different meaning of priority for this game, so just having a to-do list (updatable of course lol) would make life easier for people who want to contribute somehow. What I'm talking about is some sort of project dashboard for pso dev rather than just enabling forum features because I do not believe the Ôö¼┬¢ new Ôö¼Ôòù developers know exactly what needs to be done and the users don't pick up any interest because they don't know something is being worked on. Anyway, just my opinion on this.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
Mylandra, I appreciate your feedback on this, but I think you're over generalizing. I'm almost sure there are people who DO actually care about other quests besides TTF as well as actually care about the quest text. Perhaps it's a smaller amount than those who roll TTF, but certainly those types of people exist. ;) I think quest development is just as important as tool development. But that's just my opinion and we're all entitled to have different ones.

If there is one thing I'd like to eliminate is "exclusivity", though. I mean, I know servers want to stand out and what not... But you know, PSO is an extremely old game. I think every aspect about it's development should be public domain now. But, if people want to hold onto something that brings people to their server of this 15+ year old game over another server, that's their choice.

For me, anything I'd make related to PSO, I'd always give it out immediately. I could care less about popularity, money, or stuff like that when it comes to PSO. It's mostly about learning to me.

Chuk

More servers mean a greater separation of the player pool, which then leads to a less PSOBB players in general. At this moment I feel like there are already too many private servers that don't take their job seriously.

But back on topic, I think a public PSO (git) repository should be opened up asap for people to be able to share the code of their tools or just the binaries if they feel more comfortable with that.