Red King's Grand Build Planner Tables

RedKing

Hopeless Creature
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
Hey, I've decided to pull together a bunch of interactive guide tables for a full build planner and progress tracker!

Before I describe it in full, which won't take a giant wall of text like my SC configs, here's a link.
Download the sheets from Google Docs and have a play!

Now, for a quick low-down on the setup.

Once you've downloaded it, you'll notice a whole lot of default setups are already in place, I took all of this from several guides old and new, averaged things out and created the most simple-case builds I could think of just on theory crafting. All of this can be changed, and here is where it gets better than just having an online table telling you what you should and shouldn't do. There is also a second sheet, which has all the best units for you to copy and paste into one of your unit slots.

Each class has it's maximum possible stats input on the far right of the table, and next to it, the totals made up in your current calculated build, taken from your units list, mag levels and material counts. It tells you how many materials you have used, how many you have left to use and how many spare materials you have to play around with based on following the guidance build (this being the Mats Needed section).

The easiest way to make use of this is:
- Change any Mag levels to what you have or plan to make.
- Change Mat Count to whatever materials you already have from a /matcount check in-game.

- Copy any units you have or plan to use, with all of their stats from Sheet2 into one of the blue unit slots, this will automatically update your total stats in "Unit Stats"

Once everything is input, you'll see the cells all update with shiny new totals:
Inputting Mag Level will update Mag Bonus with the actual stats boosts you would gain
Inputting Mat Count will update Mat Stats.
Mats Needed is the guide and can be modified without affecting the result of your current build.
Mag Bonus, Mat Stats and Unit Stats are automatically added together to give you your Total Base, now you can compare this with Max Usable.

And now, why?
I was helping someone new, and while doing so, I found that guides were scattered all over the place, and either didn't agree with each other or simply weren't even up-to-date (here's looking at PSOW)
Another problem I found was a complete lack of tracking, you had to make your own setups and tools to track your own progress - if you're going to help, help fully, so that's what I'm doing!
I wanted to unify the guides and make them more interactive, this was an important thing for me.
Lastly, all the guides I found were guilty of being very hard line - you essentially get told "use this or get out" even in the cases where multiple builds are put forward, it was still multiple set in stone builds that tell you nothing about what you have room to play with. To me, this was the biggest problem, if you want to welcome new players who don't know what they're doing, that just isn't the way to do it, give them wider variety and don't tell them to follow a strict regime in order to not have a ruined character at lv200 and do a material and Mag wipe. We're in the age of Blue Burst and there is so much more leeway than there used to be back on the Game Cube and Dream Cast.

There's one feature I haven't yet figured out!
If anybody can help with this, please tell me how or even just upload a modification yourself.
I wanted to make it so that you could select a unit from a drop down menu, and have that automatically populate the stats based on your selection - I spent two nights trying several different methods in an attempt to do this, but kept hitting a wall and going back to copy/pasting the units from the second sheet.

Other than that, I hope you all use and enjoy this!

Hey, you'll want to select your drop-down cell and click data -> data validation.
Criteria will be "list from a range", and select the list of valid units.
Make sure "Show dropdown list in cell" is checked.
Your choice on reject input or show warning if someone manually types in garbage.
Then you can show custom help text if you want.
---
Next, in your stat columns, use vlookup to grab the unit stats from your table. If you haven't used vlookup before, here is an example:
=vlookup(E4,B5:C9,2,false)
The function works using "vlookup(value, range, column, magic)". It will look for a single value in the first column of the cells in your range. When it finds that value, it will return the data stored in that row in the column number you specify. The last magic value does some weird stuff if your data is already sorted - just set this to false to get exact returns only.
---
Once you get vlookup working and don't want to retype the formula a bunch of times, there a couple tricks to help you.

Select the cell your formula is in. You'll notice a square in the bottom right. If you click and drag that square, you can extend your formula across a range of cells in a row/column (extend down to fill your height, then extend right to fill the rest of the table horizontally). HOWEVER, this is dangerous because when you use this it assumes all of your references need to shift with the formula. So a formula pointing at column A shifted one cell to the right will now point at column B. Before using this, you need to lock your references. This is easy, don't worry.

(this will copy your formatting weirdly, so be prepared to redo your outlining, but it's worth it)

Select the formula cell and look at the "fx" field up above the sheet that shows your full formula. If you click on any cell/range in the formula, you can press F4 to cycle through a 'fixed' mode for rows/columns. "E$4" means that if I extend this formula horizontally, the column will still change, but if I extend vertically it will still always reference row 4. "$E$4" will always reference that cell without moving. For your case, you will want to:
  • Fix your range both vertically and horizontally (we always refer to the same range!)
  • Fix your value horizontally (as in $E4. You always refer to the same column as that is the column your unit is in, but you want your row to change so each row refers to its own unit)
Notice that as you expand horizontally you will still need to update your column number to refer to the appropriate stat for each column. The only pretty way around that is to add a hidden row with your column number that your vlookup can reference, but don't worry about that.

Magic should always stay false. We don't mess with that.
---
I hope this helps. I know I just wrote a lot but just try it out. It is a lot easier than you might expect!

Back