Rare Drop Noise On SE

richarddavis

Guildcard
Guildcard 2
Hey mates. I didn't know until today, but the rare drop noise is only present on BGM sound. This means that you can't hear a rare drop unless you have BGM turned up. I (and I'm sure many of you) play without BGM, generally, because I play my own music in the background and it conflicts with the in-game music a lot.

It would be awesome if the rare drop noise was changed to SE as well as being on BGM, or maybe a setting was incorporated to where you could toggle the rare drop noise independent of which sound type you have turned up/down.

I don't really see any downside to adding this, it's pretty much a big QoL improvement. Thank you for reading.

EDIT: according to my boy Matt, this would be potentially pretty difficult to do (they currently don't know how). But I still think showing support for it just so it's on the radar is good.

Last edited:

Soly

The problem is that sfx are a pain in the ass.
Just imagine that we can't (at least I dont know how, I tried tho) increase length of sfx (you might have encountered that issue if you ever made custom sfx), or even add more sfx.

That's why it was done with BGM.
I don't remember if Soda was able to use custom sfx as sfx but they are not that way right now for a reason.

The only things that comes to my mind are (as an early note, the following points talk about doing stuff in code inside the DLL):
- Mute everything (as in play music but at volume "0") and unmute it right before playing the sfx. Bgm plays with buffers so if a buffer happens to be set up when the volume is up, it will play for some time, would be weird.

- Disable the BGM (as in nothing playing at all) and enable it to play the bgm-sfx. I found where the "BGM on" flag is and was messing with it, not for this specific situation, but I don't remember if starting the BGM off, and turning it on works or if it broke the client in some weird way.

I might try the second option myself...

richarddavis

Guildcard
Guildcard 2

falkenjeff

I have quit the game
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
I still wouldn't call it "unnecessary," as a practical way to do it in-game would be leagues more convenient and easier. But guide is definitely appreciated in the meantime.

But then for people who want to mute ALL sound but still have the raredrop noise, it would actually be a ton more inconvenient (because I'm assuming editing the pso sfx folder isn't as simple as just deleting everything like it is with the BGM - but someone can correct me if I'm wrong). And it's not just me. I know Arch did it when she played at work and wanted the sound for rares.

It works fine as is, and allows people to customize it to their needs.

EDIT: Emphasis on customize: pretty sure it would be harder to CHANGE the sound if it was an SFX as well. For people who want the jingle to be something else.

Last edited:

Spuz

Without rain, nothing grows.
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
BTW, this isn't the in-game suggestion area (not publically viewable, because community discussions always turn into ''drama +1''), it's tethella (publically viewable, for tethella suggestions), so it might be worth re-posting here for the mods or getting one of them to move @Colette.

I still wouldn't call it "unnecessary," as a practical way to do it in-game would be leagues more convenient and easier. But guide is definitely appreciated in the meantime.

I agree. If there was an in-game function to have the rare sound on but still toggle the bgm/sfx, it would be so useful. Skylar your guide is definitely neat and appreciated, but requires a lot of work each time you log and I'd rather not have the hassle, thus never used.

As @Soly stated sfx are tricky, it's currently unknown? how to add new sfx. I don't know the details on why, because I'm no pro coder. Once upon a time when voip was integrated we had the jingle attached to that (separate to both bgm/sfx) but voip was taken out (people complained it was breaking pso) and the jingle was placed back into bgm.

Last edited:

Nikki

meh...
While this is the wrong section, I don't think it really needs the appropriate move as his question/idea been properly answered, it'd be a waste of time to move it to only have it be ignored or be told the same thing lol. Soly answered it perfectly, Working with Sounds in general is a pain in the ass, and something that Sodaboy and the PSOBB community as a whole haven't been able to Fully figure out. This idea's already been on the back burner for a while as he hasn't had a suitable answer to make this happen, at least afaik.

For now silencing your OGG's or using Jeff's method are the best workarounds.

falkenjeff

I have quit the game
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
but requires a lot of work each time you log and I'd rather not have the hassle, thus never used.

Not if you use the "deny write access" method. Then the patcher can't touch your ogg folder.