meepmeep189

Guildcard
Hey Guys,

I know there's probably a lot of people on these forums who've seen a few of these videos here and there, but they're scattered all over the place and hard to locate. To that end, I've compiled a playlist of all the recordings of PSO people have taken while the original servers were still active. My hope is to give newer players an insight into what PSO was like during that time.

The playlist spans the range of the American prerelease in 2000 (footage courteously of IGN), to the shutdown of PSOBB's Japanese Servers in 2010.
http://bit.ly/PSOorig

If anyone has any other videos I've missed or videos they recorded themselves but haven't uploaded, please share them with me so I can add them to the playlist!

Sorry if double posting is against the rules, but I wanted to get some dates straight for server closures so I order these videos correctly. I had to go searching for them since they weren't listed on PSO's Wiki page (fixed that).

October 1st, 2003 at 12:00 AM JT - PSO Episode I & II Dreamcast [NA] discontinued
From what the videos suggest, it cut off as soon as it hit midnight in Japan so in the US it was still September 30th. The Japanese and EU servers remained active for at least 4 more years.

March 30th, 2007 - PSO Episode I & II GameCube [NA & JP], PSO Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution [NA & JP], & PSO Episode I & II Dreamcast [JP] discontinued following a 1 month period of free service.
According to PSO-World at the time, the EU GameCube & Dreamcast servers were still up for an unknown period of time. According to a new video I've found, people were still playing on the EU Dreamcast server on April 1st. Does anyone remember when they finally closed down? Someone posted the final minute of the GameCube servers going down and I've included it in the playlist.

January 31st, 2007 - PSO Episode I & II Xbox [JP] discontinued
April 22nd, 2007 - PSO Episode I & II Xbox [NA] discontinued a week earlier than the announced closure on April 30th.

Again, no information on the EU servers.

March 31st, 2008 at 4:42 PM PST - PSO: Blue Burst [NA & EU] discontinued following a free period lasting from January 12th, 2008 until the server's closing

December 27th, 2010 - PSO: Blue Burst [JP] discontinued

Fortunatly enough, someone posted a video of the final 4 minutes of this server. It's included in the playlist.

If anyone has any information the EU server closures or if any of this information is incorrect, please let me know.

Last edited:
Holy bat cookies, Batman!
How do they have the names Shalashaska and TwinkiKabuki???
Those are 11 and 12 characters long!
The limit on Ephinea is 10!
Could we have a limit of 12?

Holy bat cookies, Batman!
How do they have the names Shalashaska and TwinkiKabuki???
Those are 11 and 12 characters long!
The limit on Ephinea is 10!
Could we have a limit of 12?

It's probably related to it being prerelease. The videos with those characters come from IGN, presumably when they were doing an article on the game before release.

Sega really wasn't great at management. I remember when they shut down the EU/JP DC servers, then the EU one came up again for several hours. Some SoE employee forgot to read his e-mail and was like, "Oh hey why is this server unplugged? I'd better fix this..." xD

Really? According the guy who posted the EU video I have, the servers stayed up past the Japanese shutdown and well into April 1st. Apparently no one was quite sure when it'd go offline.

By the way, I've added some Japanese videos I've found and I'm in the process of ordering them on the playlist. It would be neat if someone could translate stuff and we had a transcript somewhere. Unfortunately, my Japanese is limited :/ Trust me, I know how much of an undertaking that might be.

Last edited:
This is very interesting thanks for sharing

Seeing how they were on the 13th ship and the lobby was packed was pretty wild.

The 2P runs were on private servers. The deldepth and delbiter trick videos were on the EU/US official server. Add those, and the one I posted earlier, as you see fit.

Sega really wasn't great at management. I remember when they shut down the EU/JP DC servers, then the EU one came up again for several hours. Some SoE employee forgot to read his e-mail and was like, "Oh hey why is this server unplugged? I'd better fix this..." xD
There was also a time, I think on Xbox servers, where they forgot or just neglected to take down the lobby holiday theme (Christmas I think, but I’m not 100% sure) for months... lol

To me it always seemed like they just sort of turned the servers on and abandoned them, other than to bring them back up if they go down. In my years playing official (mostly) GC servers I don’t remember seeing a single GM, and I don’t remember hearing about a single “real” ban, other than the automatic 24h or 72h (I forget which) that you got for reloading into a lobby as an NPC, or having certain items in your inventory.

I remember there was even a time when Myria/Barubary actually sent their JP team a log with the exact packet that people were using to Word Select FSOD people. Needless to say it was never fixed, and neither were pretty much any other exploits/FSOD methods as far as I know, all the way until the server’s closing. :(

Last edited:
There was also a time, I think on Xbox servers, where they forgot or just neglected to take down the lobby holiday theme (Christmas I think, but I’m not 100% sure) for months... lol
Now that you mention it, I think I remember this happening! I just ignored it and carried on with my creating and action replay duping of 381% weapon sets, lv1308 mags, and al rappies, with my lv999, invisible, 10 slotted characters like every other unchecked script kiddie running around that server. That was the only PSO I knew until BB was released. Then I got a taste of what PSO was really supposed to be like and it was amazing!!!

That's actually something I noticed with the first video I encountered of original PSO gameplay. The guy was playing on October 5th but they still had hearts up from what I assume were from Valentine's day.

The 2P runs were on private servers. The deldepth and delbiter trick videos were on the EU/US official server. Add those, and the one I posted earlier, as you see fit.

Awesome, thanks! If you have rough dates for those, I'd appreciate having them. Just want to keep things in chronological order :)
Edit: Nevermind, it seems like you posted the vids as you were playing ;)

Last edited:
It's the price you pay for having unicode names. Names are always 12 characters long, but BB wastes 2 characters on the language code so that you can use non-ASCII names. Console PSO allows only ASCII names, so you can use all 12 characters.
That's extremely interesting actually! Thanks.
:confused:

If anyone has any other videos I've missed or videos they recorded themselves but haven't uploaded, please share them with me so I can add them to the playlist!

Just saying...the videos i made on the PW4 runs were recorded on the official sega server before it closed.

I didnt knew this server existence since i rarely come on this game anymore, mainly from special requests. Cheers!

Just saying...the videos i made on the PW4 runs were recorded on the official sega server before it closed.

I didnt knew this server existence since i rarely come on this game anymore, mainly from special requests. Cheers!

Thanks for sharing them with me! I'll probably go ahead and add the videos where you have multiple players unless others here would want some online single player footage as well.

Edit: On second thought, I think I will include them. It might be interesting to show a sample of solo play while online since I hear it was much harder than offline mode.

Back