PSO Pink GD / Debug environment!

VincentNL

Hi guys!

Been asked to look into Laurent's awesome PSO Pink GD-Rom prototype and found out something which I hope you'll enjoy reading! :D

We are talking about a massive debug environment in there:

Tools for scripts, quest, monster, items, player stats, special events, light, motion, there's pretty much everything!

Most of these functions are related to missing files on disc, probably from an earlier build.

Interestingly enough, missing files name give us info on their source: TGS_JAPANESE.SFD and PSO_DEMO_001-006.BIN, are probably from a Tokyo Games Show build or any demo version such as PSO Autodemo.

Therefore it's safe to assume we are looking at an earlier debug leftovers!

Being outside of their original environent they aren't useable as is- but here's the good news:
Since they cannot be executed normally, I've made a custom code that allows me to force their execution!

SmLBGKf.gif

1BUXVK4.png

y19K0a1.gif

kEm3U3y.png

L4lHEUh.png

One of those fuctions draws a blue gradient BG, which I remember seeing on an old PSO Universe vhs footage:

VK4YmKh.png

By rewriting them to work with actual memory addresses, I'm sure they can be fixed.

If any fellow reverse engineer who worked on the game before is interested on it, let me know and I'll gladly pass them the info!

-VincentNL
-------------

Last edited:
Back