Performance Issues

JonathanX95

Hey! I'm new to this forum and new to PSO BB (kinda, i used to play Schthack here and there) but i sold my gaming pc recently and am using my old back up laptop which consists of a single core Intel Celeron clocked at 2.1 GHz with 1GB of RAM. I discovered this Ephinea private server and decided to try it out.

I'm liking it already and have met some pretty chill people, but the problem is, this game doesn't run well on this laptop, but Phantasy Star Universe runs fine at low settings and it's a newer game? I have turned down the settings on the launcher of Ephinea and every time I play it; it will play fine for like the first 3 minutes and then lag REALLY bad and i'll get like 5fps. Anyone know the issue? Is there 3rd party software that could help or any patches I should try? I really want to play this game. Any help is very appreciated, thanks.

Jonathan.

What are the rest of your specs? Right now it sounds like not enough vRAM.

I'm also running on an older machine, so I have all graphical details the lowest they go. Low Res mode, auto frame skip, tiny texture size, fake fog, low details, etc. Since the new .dll update in 1.9.0, my gameplay has gotten much smoother, and usually hovers around 30 fps.

Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, 250MB of VRAM.

It's not the worst on-board graphics I've seen, this can actually support the Windows 7 transparent aero theme which is surprising. (it's also my current OS)

not really enough information to go on. sounds like something is throttling based on the fact it runs fine for three minutes. i don't think that you have 250mb of dedicated vram, but pso doesn't require much either.

blue burst was poorly optimized at the time, psu running better didn't mean much unfortunately. does your game start lagging the second the map loads in? before you make it to ragol on any episode? or can you play "lag free" until a specific time frame passes?

I don't think it's the vRAM anymore, as I only have 128mb and haven't had these issues. Is it over-heating?

Could be a number of things:
  • Bad HDD
  • Thermal Throttling
  • Mal-Ware
  • Too many background programs
Generally, a reformat can bring an older computer back to life for another few years. If its thermal throttling, maybe not.

Most common issues on laptop are bad HDD (2.5" HDD are easy to damage/break) and thermal throttling/thermal usury over time.

But as @CTB said, monitor when it start lagging (if it's after a set time or after some events). :p

Back