Parameters of the latest Tethealla Server update

Neirene

Is not really a suggestion but I wanted to know what kind of new parameters for the server admins will be available in the next update of the Tethealla server to control and adapt their servers to their needs?

Also I wanted to know if all the current features being implemented on Ephinea will be available on the new software (such as the new drop system) and if that's so, will it be posible to enable/disable them through simple text or ini parameters or it will be necessary to modify the source code directly to control such features?

So far the list of stuff I'm aware that will be possible to enable/disable through simple text ini files:

-The Common Bank

Soly

Although I would like to see a change log, specifying what has been fixed - implemented, there seems to not be anything like that atm tho.
So I would rather just wait until is released and explore all the options, since new things might appear and/or "old" things might change.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
We'll make sure to add the private drops (PSO2 style system) to be fully disabled through the INI.

Though, I haven't decided if the Dynamic Drop Rate or Lucky Day system will be included in the public binaries or source yet.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean about not including it is that not everything that Ephinea has necessarily become Tethealla code by default. Ephinea will have some things that make it unique to Tethealla.

The code will be up on VisualStudio.com in a read only branch. Whenever it's ready.

Don't know how many lines of code it is and can't check now since I am lying in bed typing on my iPhone.

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
The lines of code is well into the 10's of thousands. For example the ship function code is around 24k lines. That's not including the globals, structures and so on.

Login is around 8.5k
Patch is around 2k

Neirene

Sodaboy said:
We'll make sure to add the private drops (PSO2 style system) to be fully disabled through the INI.

Though, I haven't decided if the Dynamic Drop Rate or Lucky Day system will be included in the public binaries or source yet.

The goal of Tethealla is to offer a fully functional PSO BB server and client to play the game on and also as a way to preserve the game as faithful as possible because sadly is not longer available from SEGA side, that means in my opinion should be distributed with the default instalation of the original game server software and client without any kind of extra stuff such as the unique features of Ephinea like the PSO2 style drop system/Lucky Days.

Still, since there's people out there that are willing to extend the game by incorporating new systems to it would be a good idea to make a special forum to share client/server modifications and discuss about them mostly tailored to the people that is willing to mess around with the source code and add new functionality to their servers.

For example you can create a thread in that forum called "[Mod] Lucky Days" where people will only discuss about this specific system and between everyone participating in the thread polish and improve it then lastly show instructions on how to install them in a fashion similar to "diff patches" from Java for the interested admins encouraging a lot of activity in the development forums. But always as an extra!

What do you think of this idea?

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
Neirene said:
The goal of Tethealla is to offer a fully functional PSO BB server and client to play the game on and also as a way to preserve the game as faithful as possible because sadly is not longer available from SEGA side, that means in my opinion should be distributed with the default instalation of the original game server software and client without any kind of extra stuff such as the unique features of Ephinea like the PSO2 style drop system/Lucky Days.
Oh, thanks for telling me what the goal of the server software we created is. I wasn't sure.

Anyway, most people aren't competent enough with coding, so we'll be leaving the features in as optional use. There's no point to make people go through a bunch of unnecessary work when it's already done with and just needs a switch flipped on or off.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
falkenjeff said:
Could also just release the source of Ephinea separate from Tethealla as its own read-only SVN.

(Not that also having a forum for mods is a bad idea)
There's two different things here.

1. Ephinea, the PSO server.
2. Tethealla, the PSO server software platform.

Ephinea is a different beast, though it does showcase some of the Tethealla additions and fixes. However, not everything that is put on Ephinea will be released to the public as it's what I deem my own unique code I'm not willing to share with other people. It's what makes Ephinea "unique". That said, the majority WILL be released. What I choose not to is my own choice.

I've decided the PSO2 drop style system WILL be released with Tethealla.

I have NOT decided whether the dynamic drop rate and/or the PSU Lucky Day stuff is stuff I want to include with the Tethealla release or if I want to keep it unique to Ephinea. Certainly, someone can code their own variation on it, but should I choose NOT to release it, it's my own choice and a choice I'm allowed to make. It is not a core PSOBB mechanic and not essential to someone getting a working PSOBB server going.

Aleron Ives

You might also want to decide which software licence, if any, you plan to use for the code release, so that potential contributors know the terms under which other people will be able to use whatever code they add to the project and people interested in adapting the project know what they're allowed to do with the code.