Option.exe NOT Responding

Detourist

Detourist#6717
Guildcard
For the first time since that awesome draw distance update, when I try to open option.exe in the game directory OR when I try to open it through the client launcher's options>more selection, simply, nothing happens. In the case of trying to open it through the client launcher, it closes the client launcher and then nothing happens.
I, of course, have everything set to run as admin and have checked that the option.exe process is not listed as running in the task manager after being executed.
This has never happened before and it has only happened since the last update and I have not made any changes to anything, myself....if it was the update which caused this then I'm stumped by how it would seem it's only me who's experiencing this phenomenon, as there are no posts made about it.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
There was 1 other person I've seen who had this issue, not sure what solved it for them or if it was solved at all. Just saying its not only you.

Its possible something was corrupted. Tried a separate fresh install?

You can't launch option.exe directly without the switch. The replacement option.exe works in exactly the same way. So running from the launcher is the only way (unless you know the switch... which is 1095189843 ("SEGA" in ascii) so "option.exe 1095189843").

It only accesses registry so it shouldn't be blocked by any anti-virus software. But if it doesn't open from the launcher or using the switch it must be something blocking it. You can use Process Monitor (from sysinternals) to check whats blocking it. If you installed ephinea into your program files folder that could be the reason as that is a protected system folder.

What operating system are you running?

You can't launch option.exe directly without the switch. The replacement option.exe works in exactly the same way. So running from the launcher is the only way (unless you know the switch... which is 1095189843 ("SEGA" in ascii) so "option.exe 1095189843").

It only accesses registry so it shouldn't be blocked by any anti-virus software. But if it doesn't open from the launcher or using the switch it must be something blocking it. You can use Process Monitor (from sysinternals) to check whats blocking it. If you installed ephinea into your program files folder that could be the reason as that is a protected system folder.

I'll try both of those ideas as soon as I can.
Is "option.exe 1095189843" what I rename the file to? I'm not too knowledgeable in this area. I'll return with the outcome...and I'm using Vista.
Thank you for your reply, and a quick one at that!

You need to use it as an argument. Create a shortcut to option.exe edit the shortcut and add that after the exe.

Well, I tried using the switch just as you had instructed and that gave me the same result.

So I downloaded and opened Process Monitor from Microsoft's sysinternal and opened it but didn't know how to use it so I dug up this:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-process-explorer-to-troubleshoot-sharepoint/
but I haven't been able to make heads or tails out of the instructions..

One other thing I tried was this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2688326/can-t-open-exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista
But that didn't work either and now when I right click something the default option is "%1" %*
(which is what it told me to write into the regedit files)

The strangest thing is that I went back into my program files and found the original Sega psobb dir and the option.exe in there did the same thing. BUT, there was another file in there named SHoption.exe (with a different icon, and I don't remember how it got there) and that one DOES open up the option window so I put it into the EphineaPSO dir and after I save the changes it autolaunches the Ephinea client launcher...I'm stumped! I would call it a workaround but I don't think it contains the Ephinea updates...

Also like I said options wont bring up a dialog without the correct switch. If you can't bring up the original options.exe with the switch 1095189843 then you are probably not entering it correctly.

Maybe a simpler method is:
Open your Ephinea Folder
Hold Shift and right click on any white space of the folder
select "Open command window here" (windows 10 will have powershell option which will work as well)
enter: option 1095189843

The window should appear. Although this is all the launcher does.

maybe you have other protection software blocking it. Or maybe your AV asked you if you wanted to block it when it was first run and you confirmed.

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized someone responded.
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Service Pack 2) Direct X runtime version: 11.0

At the time that I'm trying this, I have absolutely no AV running, even in the background.
In the shortcut link to the option.exe that's in the pso dir (the shortcut is on my desktop), I typed "C:\Program Files (x86)\EphineaPSO\option.exe" 1095189843
It brought up the usual user account control prompt of allow/cancel and then nothing happened after that.

I've been playing with Process Monitor but with no success.

Thank you again for your care, @tofuman !

As I've stated before. Program files is a protected system folder. So it will probably need to be run as admin (when it really doesn't need to). Try moving/copying your EphineaPSO folder to your desktop and try running from there.

You could turn the UAC to minimum in user settings in control panel. This will run all apps with the highest rights by default. And then you could keep your pso in program files.

These are very good ideas, I will give them a try when I get home. Thank you!

--

On a side note, I happen to be rereading through the Q/A FAQ page and noticed what I interpreted as a typo:
"Q. I’m scared of rollbacks and total resets, will your server have a lot of these?

A. We will never reset. We also don’t imagine having to rollback data very often if ever. Should a catastrophic event occur, we’d take the server down and roll back to the earliest point of time before the event occurred, patch the problem, and then bring the server back up. You’d lose, maybe, an hour of work at the minimum."
Was this meant to be maximum?

(this is me being OCD, not snarky...just trying to help)

Last edited:
When that was written, it was accurate and an hour was the minimum amount of progress you’d lose, since the server backed up every hour. You might have lost more than an hour if a major hack or dupe was found after several hours had passed of the exploit in use and we needed to rollback to before the exploit was discovered or employed, to protect the economy.

Now, the FAQ needs to be updated. It’s more like you’ll lose half the day, since the server doesn’t backup every hour anymore, but twice a day. Hope that helps your OCD.

Also, extremely off topic.

Reactions: CTB
When that was written, it was accurate and an hour was the minimum amount of progress you’d lose, since the server backed up every hour. You might have lost more than an hour if a major hack or dupe was found after several hours had passed of the exploit in use and we needed to rollback to before the exploit was discovered or employed, to protect the economy.

Now, the FAQ needs to be updated. It’s more like you’ll lose half the day, since the server doesn’t backup every hour anymore, but twice a day. Hope that helps your OCD.

Also, extremely off topic.
Now that you put it that way, I realize I was being very idealistic/simplistic with the way I was interpreting how that was written. It makes complete sense now and...I don't.
Also, yes it was very off topic...I am sorry!

As I've stated before. Program files is a protected system folder. So it will probably need to be run as admin (when it really doesn't need to). Try moving/copying your EphineaPSO folder to your desktop and try running from there.

You could turn the UAC to minimum in user settings in control panel. This will run all apps with the highest rights by default. And then you could keep your pso in program files.
So I couldn't figure out how to get to the UAC settings to adjust it in Vista but googled it and ended up opening msconfig, going to the tools tab and running UAC Off. I then restarted my computer, turned all firewalls and everything off, pasted the entire EphineaPSO folder to my desktop, then made a shortcut to the desktop of the option.exe file and changed the "Target" to C:\Users\*****\Desktop\EphineaPSO\option.exe 1095189843
And it still didn't work, even after making it run in compatibility mode for windows xp (service pack 2)
I'm at a loss.
I think I just need a new computer!

I appreciate all the help from you, tofuman, and also Sodaboy. I guess we can close this unless it's to be crucified for others to review.

Back