OBS only capturing half of the game audio

Noble

Hex
Guildcard
So yesterday I was streaming some of my PW hunt and when I checked the vod I discovered that only half of the game's audio was being captured, which I've never had happen with other games. For some reason it captures all the environmental sounds like doors, level ambiance and monster effects just fine but all of my technique casting sfx was absent. On my setup I'm not using global audio because I like the ability to individually control capture audio. Global audio fixes this capture issue when I tested. Not sure if anyone has had this issue before or knows a fix but any help is appreciated.

Link to the vod demonstrating the problem:

Attachments

• 1702733545976.png
    1702733545976.png
    558 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Check your Windows output speaker config vs OBS. Is Windows outputting 7,1 while OBS is set to stereo? Try matching it and having both capture stereo.

Downmixing the audio may not be working right for you. So just set both to stereo.

Check your Windows output speaker config vs OBS. Is Windows outputting 7,1 while OBS is set to stereo? Try matching it and having both capture stereo.

Downmixing the audio may not be working right for you. So just set both to stereo.
As far as I'm able to tell, nothing is set up to output 7.1. I did get to the bottom of the issue though, turns out the culprit is Dolby Atmos. Toggling the surround virtualizer it has in it did nothing to resolve the problem but just disabling spatial audio entirely fixed it. Odd that this problem only shows up when capturing audio from the game specifically instead of globally.

Surround virtualizers basically make the game output in surround sound, then some tricks occur to downmix the audio to 2 channels before its output to headphones or speakers. For some reason OBS is getting the audio before the downmix.

Good job at fixing it.

Back