no connection @ gol dragon

Tae

Guildcard
idk if this is the right place to post this, but for days now, every time i get to gol dragon in a xrd rev 2 party, either at the boss teleporter or after the cutscene, everything in the game stands still except my character, and after a while i get a message saying no connection before getting booted to the title screen. pls help u.u*

I had this issue for a few years after I moved. I didn't really notice it was a consistent issue at first, and then I just wasn't sure what it was. I noticed if I alt tabbed after returning to lobby sometimes, I would often DC silently. This also happened if I alt tabbed for a few seconds in challenge mode. It's something with your internet, likely in your modem/router.

Most bosses have a cutscene that prevent any actions. You can't regain control of your character until after the boss spawned. This occurs after the host says the cutscene animation has finished. You are able to type at this point for some bosses, but not all. I recommend try spamming messages in chat when this happens. Or put /ping on a keyboard shortcut and hit that a few times. You'll probably see what looks like a brief lag spike.

Once I found a quest and group where I could reliably reproduce this (at Gal Gryphon in Military Strikes Back with two others), Sodaboy helped me debug this on a test ship for a week. Some server bugs were found and patched, but didn't help. Some client bugs were found and many test DLLs created with logging+fixes to check if those cases were being hit, but none were. I tried various Windows TCP and router settings, and nothing helped. I tried playing on Ubuntu and still had the problem. I bought a new network card, and of course still reproduced the problem. At this point, it was obviously something with my internet.

Eventually I tethered and used my phone's data for internet, and couldn't reproduce the issue once over 2 hours of testing. I bought a new modem+router the next day and it's been gone since. My old modem/router was affected by some Intel Puma 6 defect, so the new one I bought doesn't use that chipset. There's not much concrete info on that defective chipset online, just a bunch of angry forum posts. Unfortunately I can't confirm if that defective chipset was the problem, and there's a list of modems that use it which includes many really common modems.

If you are able to try with a different internet connection like your phone's data, then that's definitely a good test. If not, try the chat spam or keyboard shortcut and see if it helps.

Back