Next release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Toxicest player
Not really sure which sub-forum this would belong under, but here it is anyway.
Any word/update about when the next version of the source will be released? There used to be rumblings of "soon" when the server was initially set up in the summer, but with the constant bug fixes it was always (understandably) postponed.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It's really "it's ready when it's ready". It was thought to be soon, but then more things were found to be done and people have lives and whatnot.

There's not really much to be said apart from that.

--- (below is not directed at you)

So saying that, I would recommend that people stop PM'ing the staff on these forums asking for the next release of Tethealla. :P Nobody knows, not even the developers themselves, since this isn't their life and people have better things to do sometimes. :P

Maybe a nice sticky would be in order to let these people know.

Soly

My advise, if you want. Wait patiently.
I have been doing that myself but why, as you might know I program stuff too and I know how it can be, bugs appear, you find a better way to do something or a way to do something you didn't knew, etc and it's even worse in a project of the magnitude of Tethealla. But as you said "soon", I still have hope xD

divie

Problem is not all people are leechers and some are able to write code and help out. Those people can solve bugs and improve code together, so it's not up to 1 or 2 people to do everything, which obviously doesn't work, since those people have their lives, their work, their other commitments. The idea of open source is to work on something together. I do not understand why this project is still not on github or another system.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
I do not understand why this project is still not on github or another system.
Because the project doesn't belong to you or the community. It's my own creation, with Tofuman's assistance, and whenever it's ready for release, binaries, source or whatever else, then it will be ready. Not a second before.

We don't owe anybody anything. So, getting mad about the project not being released or whatever, even when we said it'd be released earlier, doesn't really help get it out there faster at all.

We don't get paid a salary for writing the code, we are employees of no one. This is just something done on the side.

In fact, if we wanted to, we don't have to release anything at all. But, still, something is coming... soon

divie

No offense, but if it's not ready why do some people get it? I mean c'mon, there's running servers with the updated source. Some of those (I'm not saying names) are even earning money with your code, not contributing at all, and they get it, yet the people here that can improve the project are being kept out.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Er, other servers do not have the updated source, why do you think that?

Ultima and Eden are still running on the binaries from 2008, they just have their own tweaks to the software.

Andy

Toxicest player
I was just curious if there was any updates, since I haven't been actively following anything here for a few months now and couldn't find any information saying one thing or another.
Sorry for bringing drama llamas.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
No offense, but if it's not ready why do some people get it? I mean c'mon, there's running servers with the updated source.
As Matt said, they're still running the old code but have updated it themselves with their own fixes or additions. I haven't given them anything.

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
And even though I'm evolved in the teth project and the Edenserv server. Eden isn't running any newer code than before. A lot of the fixes and functionality I put on Eden years ago I added to the Teth project. And Teth is now miles ahead of the Eden code. But just like everyone else. Eden will get the latest code when it's released.

Status
Not open for further replies.