Need help finding better quality character portraits (JPG Artifacts Aplenty)

MagicLuthee

I've been looking around but can't find better quality versions of four portraits (HUcaseal / HUnewearl / RAmarl / FOmar). When slightly zoomed-in they look terrible.
Would really love to get a hold of better (i.e. less-lossily-compressed) versions of them.

In the meantime I put the best "untouched" files I could find in a zip and attached it to this post.

Attachments

• pso_chara_portraits_v1.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
maybe ill try something later, no gurentee itll work

edit: I found this https://vanceai.com/anime-upscaler/ but it's not really "free" gives you like some credits to start then it charges you.. not even sure how many it used to make this but heres one of them

edit2: I managed to have just enough credits for free for your images chainner_Hucaseal.pngchainner_Fomar.png
chainner_Sue__HUnewearl_.pngchainner_Ramarl.png

Last edited:
Thanks, if nothing looking at the Vance site and doing some research tells me that Waifu2x and Real CUGAN Pro are good upscalers. Gonna do some tests.

That being said I'd still really love to get a hold of the "original" (without-jpg-compression) files for these portraits.

Upscaling the uncompressed ones would yield better results.

I think those are about as good as you can get without contacting someone at Sonic Team. The Episode 3 book reuses the Hunewearl from Book of Hunters without the cutoff on dagger, so you could probably crop that and the Ramarl with some Photoshop skills. None of the scanned books I've seen have the Fomar or Hucaseal poses though...pretty odd omission from the Ep2 book all things considered.

Anyway, heres what Topaz spits out. Kinda ugly...
Fomar-gigapixel-art-scale-4_00x.pngHucaseal-gigapixel-art-scale-4_00x.pngRamarl-gigapixel-art-scale-4_00x.pngSue (HUnewearl)-gigapixel-art-scale-4_00x.png

I've rewritten first post to be more concise and attached a zip file containing the best quality portraits I could find.
As a bonus I also included a high detail version of the FOnewearl portrait I found on a Dreamcast promo disc.

Back