massive slowdowns on laptop

oslash

Guildcard
so, i'm stuck with my laptop for a few weeks and suddenly remembered this thing exists, so why not pop in and beat some boomas for old times sake

the thing is that the game slow downs a lot in big places like p2 or foggy areas like cave, desert or cca towers, or when someone uses certain techs

this is a problem i always had with psobb on laptops, probably because of the integrated intel graphics card
i mean this is no gaming pc but it can run pso2 at 60 fps with no problem and still gives me those slowdowns on psobb

did someone had this problem and found a solution?
i don't want to install the "i bought my pc at wal-mart patch" on this

Usual culprit for laptops is the monster reader/item reader plugins. Laptops CPUs are clocked lower than their desktop counterparts, and generally have lower instructions per clock as well. The older versions of these addons have an update rate fast enough to cause very noticable slowdowns in CPUs with slower single-core speeds (single core is important because a game this old won't take advantage of multiple threads). Ignore me if you don't use them. Otherwise, discard the monster reader and increase the item reader's update interval.

The way you describe it sounds more like a GPU bottleneck tbh, seeing as it happens during certain effects or with more stuff being rendered on your screen. Try using pixel fog instead of vertex fog, as well as turning all your settings down to see if it helps.

The last thing it could be would be an old, slow harddrive. Generally, that wouldn't cause predictable slowdowns in specific areas, and would only cause a small freeze during the first instance of an effect being loaded due to caching. Probably not the case, but good to look at regardless.

I'd try setting your graphics options to this (turn v-sync off. I goofed):
hIai4Yx.png

Experimenting with emulation fog and frame skip amount might help as well. Not sure how auto frame skip works however; I imagine it would be best left on.

Last edited:
See my post here on someones intro thread. I used to have a toaster of a PC and all of this helped to some degree.

What helps my laptop is keeping a usb flash drive dedicated to ready boost. Gives extra 4gb ram/memory or whatever it's called.

Back