Looking for beginner advice!

AnnoDomini7

Guildcard
Hi! I'm super new to PSO, and I've mostly been doing my own thing to get the know-how of it all. Super loving this game, but I got a few basic questions I hope you all don't mind me asking:

1. How do I "@" someone in chat? I get messages in the general chat that are formatted with a "> (username)" right at the bottom, but I'm not sure how to do that myself xd

2. Is there any benefit to playing Phantasy Star Offline? Say if I'm just doing side story, should I try and clear them all or focus on specific quests? I do like 100%ing like I do in Monster Hunter, but I just wanna know what the community is up to on this one

3. I'm playing a hucaseal, and I noticed I cannot use trap visions. Is that because I can already see them? Or are there specific scenarios where I *can* use them? Sorry this question is
especially dumb lol

4. When should I move on to episode 2? 4?

5. I am level 33 right now. Should I still being doing normal difficulty missions? I'm not too sure how to gauge which difficulty I should play on for each area/quest

6. And last question, how do I know what I should grind for?? I see people eyeing drop rates and all that stuff, but I'm just winging it atm. Should I focus on levelling, finding a specific weapon, prioritizing enemies for their drops, or pick specific quests?

I would appreciate some advice on this!

1. Assuming you're playing with a keyboard, use the "End" key to bring up Word Select. After you've picked a preselected message, you can pick someone to address it to.

2. Yes. There are unique items you can only get by playing Side Story quests (Soul Eater and Orotiagito come to mind). Dr. Osto's Research is particularly important to unlock, since you can use it to turn dropped enemy parts into weapons.

3. Yes, Androids can't use Trap Vision since they can always see them.

4. Try them out. If you can handle them, play them, if not, don't.

5. Again, just play whatever you can. Level 20 unlocks Hard, 40 gets Very Hard, and 80 gets Ultimate. I'd estimate a super duper new player at level 33 would probably be able to knock out Caves on Hard, but it's been a really long time since I first started PSO, so. Try out different areas, episodes, and difficulties and see what works!

6. This early on, I'd just focus on leveling and feeding your Mag a balanced diet of POW and DEX boosters. It's not super important to make your first Mag perfectly optimized, but that's the general Mag build you want to go for on a HUcaseal. Just grab whatever weapons hit harder for now - ATP and ATA are the stats to look out for on weapons, and Hit % is super valuable at every stage of the game as well.

Happy hunting, and feel free to ask any more questions you have!

4. When should I move on to episode 2? 4?

5. I am level 33 right now. Should I still being doing normal difficulty missions? I'm not too sure how to gauge which difficulty I should play on for each area/quest

6. And last question, how do I know what I should grind for?? I see people eyeing drop rates and all that stuff, but I'm just winging it atm. Should I focus on levelling, finding a specific weapon, prioritizing enemies for their drops, or pick specific quests?
So here's what I remember:

#4. Rule of thumb tends to be "you will be able to effectively deal with Episode 2 after you can deal with Episode 1 on the same difficulty." So once you feel comfortable with being able to beat Dark Falz in normal mode, Ep2 should not pose you any problems, however EXP-wise it is probably better to move on to Ep1 hard mode. Ep4 tends to be even harder than Ep2 so approach that with caution, or with a party.

#5. You should be able to deal with Forest on Hard and probably a good percentage of Caves (especially since as HUcaseal you're immune to Poison Lily's poison and paralysis -- making those just free real estate), particularly if you have good gear, and it would be more lucrative in terms of potentially having rare drops and in terms of EXP gain to go there than it would be to chip away at Normal mode -- there are very few benefits to dealing with Normal-mode Ruins, really.

#6. See the aforementioned mag advice. Fighting random stuff to get EXP is always good, since unlocking harder difficulties lets you unlock better drops. If you want a particular drop to seek out... at hard, there aren't really a ton of must-have drops. However, if you have the meseta to support it (it costs 10k a swing with its special attack!) Vjaya is a very good early game option that can be used until pretty deep into the game, and there are some pretty easy places to farm it on hard if your Section ID is Viridia or Bluefull... and one absolutely terrible place to farm it on hard if your SID is Yellowboze. I've also found G-Assassin's Sabers to be a fairly usable weapon at low levels (and easy to hand off to other characters which you will probably build), and you can make those from Grass Assassin's Arms by completing a solo questline. On hard, the drop rate from GrAssassins jumps from 1/10k or so to about 1/128. However, they start with no Hit% and giving them extra Hit% can be an expensive and RNG-heavy process. Aside from this, look for whatever you can get that you can equip with good stats (especially ATA and/or Hit%) or specials. If you're not sure what specials are good, check this page.

In short: Winging it is fine! The point of a game is to have fun, so do it however you think sounds fun! ...But you definitely want to look up some mag stuff so you don't end up having to make or trade for a whole new one later on, because you will definitely be kicking yourself.

...note to self to open up that table so I can get rolling on my mag.

Ahhh, this is super helpful. Thank you both so much for clarifying things for me!
(Soul Eater and Orotiagito come to mind). Dr. Osto's Research is particularly important to unlock, since you can use it to turn dropped enemy parts into weapons.
and you can make those from Grass Assassin's Arms by completing a solo questline. On hard, the drop rate from GrAssassins jumps from 1/10k or so to about 1/128.
These are good leads right here, I'm so gonna have to check them out. M00NSIDIAN, you mentioned giving the G-Assassin's Sabers extra hit%, is that something I can do once I complete Dr. Osto's Research?

Back