Launcher Crashes Since Connecting to Captive Portal

gojito

Hi All,

I tried connecting to an airport wifi today to see if I could log on and play while waiting for my flight. However, after connecting to the AP the launcher now always opens a login browser for that airport login screen everytime updates are attempted after launching the Ephinea Launcher. The launcher update ends up hanging and finally crashing. This happens even now that I'm at my home wifi and am no longer on that network. Any idea how I can get this to stop happening?

Update
Things I tried up to now
- Reinstall PSO
- Uninstall Google Chrome (browser that was launching whenever updater started)

Neither of those actions worked. When I uninstalled Chrome, the launcher tried to ask me what application to launch to complete the action. It looks like something got cached on the updater when I was on that airport wifi connection that has now corrupted it. Checking to see if there are registry keys I need to wipe out if I try uninstalling PSO again.

Last edited:
You could try either uninstalling, and this time, deleting the registry entry entirely (if you didnt) before reinstalling. Or try cmd and try ipconfig commands like /release, /renew, or /flushdns to see if it gets rid of the airports info. idk networking stuff THAT WELL but that'd be my guess lol. Be aware though, on deleting the registry entry if I remember right, your saved login info will go away so i hope yknow your user/pass.

The other longshot possibility is you connected to someones fake access point at the airport and its trying to continually fish your info now. That kinda stuff does happen but its like a super rarity. It opening your browser like that does NOT sound legitimate.

Thanks Nikki. I'm pretty sure it's a registry issue and not a fishing problem since it is only happening with the launcher. I've virus scanned and malware byte scanned thoroughly and nothing has come up. Is there any reference to all the possible registry keys that I can look for to make sure I got them all? I found the SonicTeam one which keeps login info afaik and a few null entries when searching for Ephinea. Not sure what else I can hunt down at this point because it keeps happening.

You could try either uninstalling, and this time, deleting the registry entry entirely (if you didnt) before reinstalling. Or try cmd and try ipconfig commands like /release, /renew, or /flushdns to see if it gets rid of the airports info. idk networking stuff THAT WELL but that'd be my guess lol. Be aware though, on deleting the registry entry if I remember right, your saved login info will go away so i hope yknow your user/pass.

The other longshot possibility is you connected to someones fake access point at the airport and its trying to continually fish your info now. That kinda stuff does happen but its like a super rarity. It opening your browser like that does NOT sound legitimate.

Flushing DNS and release/renew WORKED! Thanks! I had totally not thought about doing that. :D

Back