If you loved the Blue Bomber (Megaman)...

Nightraven

Then you'll love 20XX.

It is well known that Mighty No. 9 was a major disappointment when it failed to uphold "This will be the next Megaman!" 20XX makes up for this in many ways.

To start, it has many features clearly inspired by Megaman. Platforming with various hazards, big bosses, boss weapons that have ammo limits, bosses being weak to another boss' weapon, and even 8 bosses you must kill before you get to the true bosses. The various graphics, sounds, music and gameplay are also clearly inspired by Megaman

Where it sets itself apart is what helps make it more than simply tribute. First off, it is a roguelike; meaning when you die you lose all of your level progress but can then upgrade to carry something into your next run. Levels are randomly generated and include increasing hazards/enemies with each boss you take down. This means not only will you need to be prepared for different sections, you will also need to be wary of new threats in each of them. You can rely on your memory for some of these, but it will only go so far. Additionally, even bosses benefit from this level increase and can make your fight that much harder.

Personal upgrades come in several forms. There are some permanent upgrades to health, energy and supply drops. You can unlock augments to appear in future runs (and upon unlock, they're given to you immediately on your next run). You can even find core parts to upgrade movement, utility, defense and attack with each one having a unique effect. You can even find weapon changers, which modify your basic attacks.

All in all, 20XX is more than a tribute to Megaman. It is a worthy successor to the franchise that is still its own game.

Yeah, I've played 20XX myself, and it's definitely a game that I would recommend playing if you're a Megaman fan. Particularly if you're a fan of the Megaman X series, since 20XX's gameplay is similar. The two vanilla characters are even based on X and Zero, though the current DLC characters have more unique playstyles (expect extra characters and the digital soundtrack to be the ONLY DLC for the game. Everything else gameplay-related is added to the base game at no extra charge).

Back