I can launch the launcher but PSO itself won't launch

jawike

I've tried running as administrator and with compatibility mode for XP service pack 2 but it just has a black box show up briefly and then crashes. I'm on windows 10. The version number is 1.0.8.

Sounds like either you need to white list it in your antivirus to prevent it being flagged as a false positive, or turn off windows 10's DEP(Data execution prevention).

Sounds like either you need to white list it in your antivirus to prevent it being flagged as a false positive, or turn off windows 10's DEP(Data execution prevention).
Yup!

Might need to reinstall and reupdate if the problem is persistant. Happened to me once because my AV blocked an update and it kinda corrupted some data in my installation folder. It only takes a few minutes to reinstall tho, no big deal. :)

I have the PSO folder excluded with my AV, I tried reinstalling, and I turned off the DEP, but none of those solutions seemed to work. Any other ideas?

Are you running the game in fullscreen or window mode (launcher's otions)?

Scratch that, uninstalling and reinstalling worked. Thanks a bunch to you both!
Ah ok great. Normally AVs should not really cause problems when running the game but for updates it's a mess most the time. Happens a lot with old games like that, they stop getting unflagged by AV companies after a few years but people keep updating them with unofficial patches etc... :)

Hey guys,

I'm having the same issues as jawike but - unfortuantely - reinstalling and whitelisting aren't working for me.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, have the compatibility settings set to run as admin as Windows XP Service Pack 2 and all.

Any tips?

Thank you!

I thinks some OS have more trouble than others with fullscreen etc... Not 100% sure tho but maybe playing around with the video options in the launcher could help you out. You never had any problem running the game before the current update? I personally just turn my AV off when I play the game. That way I'm sure it won't cause any problem at all. :)

Try setting a different resolution from the launcher.

I've never used this software before. Honestly, I saw it online and freaked out like a child and have been a little sad for the last few hours not being able to get it up and running :/. Used to play PSO on Xbox (vanilla) when I was in elementary school.

I'll try resolution settings.

Anything else I could try out?

Currently I have:

Compatibility settings with Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Running As ADministrator
My .\user\EphineaPSO folder whitelisted by Windows Defender (my AV)
Played with resolution

What I have not done:
Turned off DEP

I've never used this software before.
Good to know. Then there's a good chance that all you'll need now is to set the launcher video options to "Window Mode" instead of "Classic Fullscreen". Try it out, I'll stay near my PC and watch the thread to see if you say if it finally works or not. ;)

Here's my config but you can set the resolution to something else depending on your screen size if you want. :) Launcher Video Config.jpg

Sigh, still not working. Once I hit "Start Game" I get a black window pop up for roughly a second and then it closes and nothing happens. :(

I appreciate you helping out btw!

A black window popping up for roughly a second means you are trying to launch the game in a resolution that your monitor doesn't support, so try changing the resolution until something works.

I must be missing something or Windows 10 Pro is not fully supported. I highly doubt the latter.

These are the steps I should - and have - take (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Set compatibility properties to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and Run As Admin
2. Whitelist the EphineaPSO folder in my user directory (where it's located)
3. ?? Not sure if I missed anything.

This may help:
I'm running on two GTX1070s with a 25" 2560x1440 monitor.

Anyone with a GTX 10 series or similar monitor res here that can share their resolution?

Back