HUcaseal spare mats: Def or Evade?

AJBats

I started a HUcaseal, and started tinkering around with a no-unit stat max plan. Normally if a build lets me have spare materials, I throw them at EVP, but I saw HUcaseal as a very low natural defense. Is there any argument in using the spare mats for DFP? HUcaseal's EVP is already crazy high naturally, do you really gain anything by having it in the 840s? Or is it better spent towards that low 400's DFP?

I would strongly recommend you follow the plans on the Wiki - https://wiki.pioneer2.net/index.php?title=Material_Plans#HUcaseal

And would further recommend you just go 122 Power and 28 Luck.

To answer your question, both DFP and EVP are generally not useful stats in Ultimate. There could be extremely niche situations where upping one or the other could be better for HUcl but realistically you won't notice a difference.

The cons of EVP:
- Evasion is not stable, you cannot know when it will happen. If it did not happen, you just receive more damage compared to a DFP build and you will feel bad.
- DFP can benefited from Deband and Jellen, which EVP can't.
- In latter areas like Ruins, most monsters just have a very high chance to hit you even you get your EVP most optimized.

But EVP still has chances to be useful. First max your base EVP, then equip a Stealth Suit and a high EVP shield. You will have a very very low chance to be hit by enemies in Forest/Cave/Mines/Temple. Though you can ignore those attacks with a DFP build in a party with supports but if you just soloing in those areas, this will make you safer than a DFP build. This is more useful for RAmarl because Deband and Jellen is hopefully no longer necessary to be cast (for those areas). It's also useful for HUnewearl and FOnewearl because they have good EVP too but their mat plans are just so pressed, so I will only consider this on RAmarl and HUcaseal. I didn't say an EVP build should replace a DFP build, I just say it works better in some situation.

Actually this is not a problem for HUcaseal because she's not pressed in her mat plan, you can just use an all-max plan.

Last edited:
The cons of EVP:
- Evasion is not stable, you cannot know when it will happen. If it did not happen, you just receive more damage compared to a DFP build and you will feel bad.
- DFP can benefited from Deband and Jellen, which EVP can't.
- In latter areas like Ruins, most monsters just have a very high chance to hit you even you get your EVP most optimized.

But EVP still has chances to be useful. First max your base EVP, then equip a Stealth Suit and a high EVP shield. You will have a very very low chance to be hit by enemies in Forest/Cave/Mines/Temple. Though you can ignore those attacks with a DFP build in a party with supports but if you just soloing in those areas, this will make you safer than a DFP build. This is more useful for RAmarl because Deband and Jellen is hopefully no longer necessary to be cast (for those areas). It's also useful for HUnewearl and FOnewearl because they have good EVP too but their mat plans are just so pressed, so I will only consider this on RAmarl and HUcaseal. I didn't say an EVP build should replace a DFP build, I just say it works better in some situation.

Actually this is not a problem for HUcaseal because she's not pressed in her mat plan, you can just use an all-max plan.

Thanks this is something to think about. I might go DFP since I'm not highly motivated to optimize the easier areas of Ultimate. I'm not sure if my handful of spare mats directed towards DFP will let me survive multiple tank buster moves, but I'm sure not going to evade those moves either. I like the point about it making deband better, which by itself might be reason enough to focus on DFP.

No idea what unit combination you are going with. You can not max you DFP without ability boost units, but it's not a bad idea I think. Smarklink is an essential, a V502 is useful too. It's still interesting to have multi PB/Increase equipped on other slots.

I plan my mats and mag assuming no units and no "necessary" equips like red ring. I see the ring and stat units as a way of capping early, since most characters never reach 200. And if I do reach 200, I simply take off the units. Can't easily reallocate mats at 200 like that. This does result in me having some overlap with luck with the RR on, but I think its a small price to pay to have capped luck for the first 180 levels of a character's life. Plus it makes me slightly less married to that shield, so I can wear ADR or whatever else I dream up. My builds are always flexibility focused, so in case I one day get the itch to stack PB/Increase like you say, I can do that on a whim.

If you're going this build with more defensive mats I will say it is nice because you won't get ATP capped really easy when you try different equipment. I did about 50 DEF mats and a few EVP when I ran my GC HuCaseal, and now on BB I'm running 45 EVP / 10 DEF mats because I wanted to try more evasion late game. To be honest I really can't tell much of a difference and I have both of them lvl 155+. You really just compare getting a few more random evades at higher areas and a decent amount more in the first areas - against slightly reduced physical damage but guaranteed reduced damage. It would be much better if evading didn't interrupt you, but oh well, the 0 damage is nice. Have fun!

I max out Evade, one benefit of this is being able to one shot Saint Milion(Caves) with Estlla as it scales off Evasion.

Back