How to edit client + other Qs

Maverick

Hey there everyone. I want to start off by thanking Soda and everyone else involved with this project for making this all possible. Your work is much appreciated. While I'll probably end up registering for this server, I also want to develop one of my own for myself and a few friends just because I know it'll always be available should we want it. I have a few questions for that.

1. How do you edit the client, and what things can you only change through editing the client, as opposed to things you can change with simpler tools like the itempmt editor?

2. The elemental specials. I noticed in the pmt editor that the ice and paralysis specials have the same activation rates. What is it that makes the paralysis specials so much more effective? Is it something with the enemies?

3. Regenerative units, like hp/restorate, pb/generate, etc. I'm looking at them in the editor and it looks like I can change how often they restore health (in seconds), but I can't change the amount of restoration itself. Is that done in the client, or...?

4. How do the "Stat Boosts" and "Tech Boosts" tabs work?

5. How do you add additional quests, and where can I get them? It seems like all the servers out there have dozens more quests than the basic teth server comes with.

6. How come only the server admin is able to use the /item command, despite other users having the same access level in the gm file?

7. I changed techniques to allow humars to use all techniques (DC players where u @?), and when I went to use a shifta disk it was "usable" however when I used it I immediately disconnected. When I logged back in the technique was unlearned. What gives?

8. When experience rates are changed within the ship ini, does it have to be a whole number? Or can you create rates like 120%, 150%, etc?

I can't think of any more right now, but I'm sure I'll have some. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Soly

1. Unless its stuff like hard-coded numbers I guess you have to be very good at asm? (And even harcoded numbers, you need to work your way to find them)... There are changes that we already know is because people like Tofuman has found things, as example, the HD launcher he made.

2. I can't really answer this atm but I guess it has to do with resistances of the mosnters.

3. Are those really how often in seconds? I thought they were the amount of regeneration, as the stat units that give 5, 10, 15, 20, etc... Would have to look at it myself.

4. Weapons and Armors have Stat and Tech boosts, you can define your boost in the corresponding tab and then select teh boost index from the weapon or armor/shield tab (look at the last columns)

5. Adding additional quests is matter of getting the quest itself, drop it on a folder in the ship server and edit the list of quests. Don't ask me tho, there was a link to a wiki or something like that of quests somewhere in the forum but I don't have it atm.

6. That's because it's hard-coded, if you want local GMs to use the command, you have to recompile adding the local GM to the command. Or set the account as Global GM in the database (sorry if you still use the dat version, will be a bit harder).

7. The client received your changes, but not the ship server, so although you were allowed in game, the ship thought you should not be able to use the tech and dc'd you. Replicate your changes to the ItemPMT in the INI files located at "ship_server\param\"

8. Soda changed it at some point to work with hundreds, so 1 would be 100%, 2 would be 200% and so on. it's simply a (exp * N)

Aleron Ives

I noticed in the pmt editor that the ice and paralysis specials have the same activation rates. What is it that makes the paralysis specials so much more effective?
I believe qwerty found the answer to this a while back. The game caps the activation rate to 40% for N, H, and VH and 20% for Ultimate, which is why Blizzard never works. Sadly, he didn't post enough information for me to actually find where the check happens (or how to find it in DC or GC, since they use a different assembly language), so I haven't been able to try raising the cap.

Regenerative units, like hp/restorate, pb/generate, etc. I'm looking at them in the editor and it looks like I can change how often they restore health (in seconds), but I can't change the amount of restoration itself.
The restoration is always 1 HP/TP/PB every n seconds. The best you can do is set the restoration rate to 1 second, because if you set it to 0, you break the game. (At least on V2, you get Healing Ring speed, thus giving you nearly infinite HP, totally infinite TP, and the ability to use Photon Blasts every 0.5 seconds, which means your meter refills even before the summon circle is done, let alone before the animation finishes.)

How do you add additional quests, and where can I get them? It seems like all the servers out there have dozens more quests than the basic teth server comes with.
Be creative and make your own or ask the authors of existing quests if you can use their work. ;)

Mylandra

Editing the client allows you to change anything that you can't do with tools someone already programmed or even make your own tool for some other stuff. PSO has much more client side assets because it was originally developed as an offline game with an online overlay. Depends on what you're looking to change, stuff like models/maps/quests are external files obviously, but enemy AI would be in the game client. Well, if you say you want to develop your own server, I expect you to understand the difference between what's in the client and what's in the server software either way. As a rule of thumb, if you have to ask about those things, most likely you won't be able to edit anything unless someone else does it for you (aka tools) so you might be better off sticking to already existing tools.